Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clamping

Re: Clamping 2 years 6 months ago #2294

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
Just ordered some various O-ring materials to test from McMaster. Can't wait until they come in and I can play with them. I'll be sure to post my results.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monk69bl

Re: Clamping 2 years 5 months ago #2404

• JerryStephenson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've recieved my basic set and bought a wooden cutting block 12x12x2" and mounted it. couldn't wait for a granite block. Looks great.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, the 600 grit just isn't fine enough for me. Seems to me with the basic kit with 600 grit, the "caution, your knives will get dangerously sharp" warning isn't needed. My dad would say "you can ride to town on that knife". The hair on my arms just laughs as I try to shave off a few. So I can't really do any more sharpening until I can get the 800/1000 which seems to be sold out everywhere.

Otherwise, I like the design. I will be calling clay on monday to ask if he is having a manufacturing problem with some of his jaws. My jaws don't have the upper holes lined up at all. I had to file the hole bigger to use it at all. It is still not smoothe and my guess is clay will send me new jaws.

I also plan to shim the u-joint connection at the bottom of the rods to reduce the angular movement allowed and keep the rods at a fixed angle.

I haven't had much chance to play with clamping yet but I think I'll be able to do lots of creative clamping and sharpen about anything.

--Jerry
Jerry Stephenson
I like to take long walks with just my putter, from the fairway.

Re: Clamping 2 years 5 months ago #2405

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
JerryStephenson wrote:
I've recieved my basic set and bought a wooden cutting block 12x12x2" and mounted it. couldn't wait for a granite block. Looks great.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, the 600 grit just isn't fine enough for me. Seems to me with the basic kit with 600 grit, the "caution, your knives will get dangerously sharp" warning isn't needed. My dad would say "you can ride to town on that knife". The hair on my arms just laughs as I try to shave off a few. So I can't really do any more sharpening until I can get the 800/1000 which seems to be sold out everywhere.

Otherwise, I like the design. I will be calling clay on monday to ask if he is having a manufacturing problem with some of his jaws. My jaws don't have the upper holes lined up at all. I had to file the hole bigger to use it at all. It is still not smoothe and my guess is clay will send me new jaws.

I also plan to shim the u-joint connection at the bottom of the rods to reduce the angular movement allowed and keep the rods at a fixed angle.

I haven't had much chance to play with clamping yet but I think I'll be able to do lots of creative clamping and sharpen about anything.

--Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting. On the 600 grit stone - yours likely need a bunch more time to finish breaking in before they'll give you the results you'll come to enjoy from them. We do have the 800/1000 stones in stock. I'll get some new jaws headed your way tomorrow, can you please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your shipping address?

-Clay
--Clay Allison

Re: Clamping 2 years 5 months ago #2408

• JerryStephenson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Clay,
Yes, lots of diamonds coming off of it at first and it is smoothing down. I guess it may need more time. I got a bit bettter edge on a practice kitchen knife this evening. I am impressed with the diamond stones, very good quality with lots of diamonds. One reason my old DMT set gets knives so sharp is the stones are worn out. But it takes forever. I am really looking forward to the time savings with Wicked Edge.

I just sent an email with my shipping address and I'll take a pair of the 800/1000 stones. I'll call tomorrow with payment info so you can ship them all together or you can call me, I'll be up early.

thanks,
Jerry
Jerry Stephenson
I like to take long walks with just my putter, from the fairway.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds