Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stock stone/strop progression (Lots of Pics!!)

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2426

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 644
razoredgeknives wrote:
wickededge wrote:
Yes, more experiments! I'm doing some today too on the difference between lapping film, leather and balsa strops.

For lighting, I just use the lights of the scope itself and I rotate the scope until I get the lighting angle desired and then keep it there for the entire series. I do the photography with the knife blade flat on a piece of photo paper onto which I've traced the outline of the blade so I can get it back in the same way every time.

I do the same as far as the scope, Clay. When I was doing the razor, I actually found that, to alternate sweeping directions, I would actually rotate the entire WE system around so that the "point" of the razor was pointing at me... that way I could be sweeping away the entire time. It sped things up considerably. I would then rotate the base back around to take photos so that way you can see the alternating direction easier (otherwise it would get quite confusing).

Clay, what I would REALLY like to see is some experiments on the lapping film and also the nanocloth or the kangaroo leather that Ken had mentioned. I know you have the settup and the materials, so if you get time, I'm sure we would all love that! (but I also know your busy too... just whenever you get time, I'm putting in a request now lol).

I'm building up to this though am waiting for the crew to get a break to mount them. In the meantime, doing more comparative studies with the things I already have made up.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2427

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
razoredgeknives wrote:
wickededge wrote:
Yes, more experiments! .. lapping film,...leather ...balsa strops.

For lighting, I just use the lights of the scope itself and I rotate the scope until I get the lighting angle desired and then keep it there for the entire series. I do the photography with the knife blade flat on a piece of photo paper onto which I've traced the outline of the blade so I can get it back in the same way every time.

... experiments on the lapping film ..e nanocloth.. kangaroo leather that Ken had mentioned. I know you have the settup and the materials, so if you get time, I'm sure we would all love that! (but I also know your busy too... just whenever you get time, I'm putting in a request now lol).

I just want to chime in here and vote YES on experiments with substrate materials as it relates to "stropping" .. I suspect, that if we gather enough information about all this, that leather is going to drop way down on the list of a materials of choice. But we shall see. As I mentioned elsewhere in other posts and other topic threads I have been experimenting for years with various types of woods. I have found some that give excellent results, and really do not use leather strops at all any more.

Also, I want to say to you guys just excellent photographs.. keep them coming !

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2429

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
This is a fast growing thread! :woohoo: And an interesting topic!

I just posted my stropping pictures of the 5 micron and 3.5 micron diamond pastes on my blog. Basically, these pastes seem to work as the 14 micron and 10 micron pastes: a lot of burnishing and little abrasion. And they work both on leather and balsa.

I also wanted to know how wide the scratches are made by the 3.5 micron diamond paste. To do so, I did what I proposed to Clay in another thread. (I'm faster :P.)

I borrowed a better photograph from Clay (hope you don't me using you pictures, Clay) and I cut out a picture of a 25 micron x 25 micron piece of the edge from the photograph. I then counted the number scratches: about 25 on a 25x25 micron area. That makes these scratches about 1 micron wide.

Now I don't feel like going through the entire thread again, but I thought Tom already coined this width somewhere. Tom, if you did, you really have a straight eye! By the way, where are you? :dry: Come back! ;)
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by mark76.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2561

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
I'm still here! Things have gotten busy in a good way, and unfortunately it cuts into my forum time :( I'd like to say just how impressed I am with the level of informative discussion being generated in my absence, though! :woohoo:

Josh- your pictures are excellent! :woohoo:

I particularly like Picture #10 off the 10K Chosera - that's about what I get. B)

I know you kept reversing the strokes after that, and I really think that the crossed scratches in picture #29 is the result of .5 HA diamond spray enhancing all the left over scratches from all the changing directions, and not contamination. Look closely at pictures #14 through #17 with the 3.5 micron paste, and you see those 3.5 scratches throughout the rest of the progression. By the .5 HA, you can see consistent scratches - errant scratches would more likely be contamination.

In the discussion of diminishing returns, I generally don't change the scratch directions after 8K-10K. I employ the sub-micron pastes/sprays in a stropping direction solely to "polish the grooves" just as the .5 HA diamond did, and not to establish that grit in full.

I'll be putting up a WEPS Chosera stone video soon that shows what I mean.
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2577

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 367
jendeindustries wrote:
I'm still here! Things have gotten busy in a good way, and unfortunately it cuts into my forum time :( I'd like to say just how impressed I am with the level of informative discussion being generated in my absence, though! :woohoo:

Josh- your pictures are excellent! :woohoo:

I particularly like Picture #10 off the 10K Chosera - that's about what I get. B)

I know you kept reversing the strokes after that, and I really think that the crossed scratches in picture #29 is the result of .5 HA diamond spray enhancing all the left over scratches from all the changing directions, and not contamination. Look closely at pictures #14 through #17 with the 3.5 micron paste, and you see those 3.5 scratches throughout the rest of the progression. By the .5 HA, you can see consistent scratches - errant scratches would more likely be contamination.

In the discussion of diminishing returns, I generally don't change the scratch directions after 8K-10K. I employ the sub-micron pastes/sprays in a stropping direction solely to "polish the grooves" just as the .5 HA diamond did, and not to establish that grit in full.

I'll be putting up a WEPS Chosera stone video soon that shows what I mean.

Can't wait to see the video! Yeah, I can't really tell from my photos... lol, not that great of quality. I will be playing around with it more soon. I re-leathered all my strops w/ top grain out, and re-charged them. Have to see what diff. that makes... I'm also curious if I still need the ceramics since I have the 5k/10k choseras... they seem to be very quick cutting (for that high of a polish) and consitant... will try to post pics of the progression straight from 1k to 5k choseras soon =)
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds