Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SOLD - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles

SOLD - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 8 months ago #1560

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hey, not sure what the general rule is on here about posting for-sales, but I figured this was probably the place for it!

I've got a set of paddles mounted with Shapton stones, 1K and 2K, which are perfect for cleaning up the scratches and doing a bit more refinement after the 1K diamonds, and before the strops. I've decided that I'm going to stick with an all-diamond progression on my WEPS, and keep my EdgePro as my waterstone unit (since I have to soak those stones anyway).

So, I'm offering up for sale my Shapton paddles, custom-made by Ken Schwartz! They've been used a handful of times, and are lapped clean and flat. I'd like to get $180 for them (I'll pay shipping), which is a tad less than I paid to get into them. Incidentally, I'd be happy to trade for Shaptons for the EP, which is my plan once I shift these anyway. LOVE the stones, just changing my plans a bit.

Paddles are SOLD
"Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you!" -- Sgt. Schlock
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by komitadjie.
The topic has been locked.

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1624

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Dan,
Are the shaptons still for sale?

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1625

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
They are indeed, Phil.

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1628

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Right now I just have the basic kit stones up to 600 grit. The other grits I ordered are on backorder. I am trying to figure out the best way to go from the 600 to a more refined edge. I am considering your Shaptons, or possibly the 800/1000 and 2000/3000 Chosera paddles.

Not sure of the best solution. I sent you a private message. If you respond, perhaps we can discuss this a bit more off list.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1630

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
Sent you a PM, Phil.

The Shaptons will do it, or the diamond plates, although the 2K Chosera might be a BIT on the fine side for removing the 600-grit scratch pattern. It'd do it, but would take quite a while. (IMO)

It will depend a lot on how you want to proceed with the edges. IMO, the Shapton makes a CLEANER scratch pattern than the diamonds, but is bit less aggressive. The 1K paddles were out-of-stock when I purchased my Shaptons, so I used them off the 600s for most of the use they have on them, actually.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by komitadjie. Reason: Spelling is NOT my friend today.

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1631

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 420
You might also want to check the blog by Tom ( jendeindustries.wordpress.com/category/wicked-edge-weps/ ). He has posted one or more articles on when to move to the Shapton stones from the diamond stones in which circumstances.

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1632

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
Good thought, Mark.

Ken over at CKTG is also a great source on abrasives and the Shapton line, he's another good guy to talk to. He's the fellow that made up this set for me, actually.

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1635

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Thanks guys.
Right now I am trying to decide whether to go the Chosera 800/1000 and 2000/3000 paddles or the Shapton route with only the 1000/2000. I have read Tom's stuff and looked at his images. I think that I would need something beyond the Shapton 1000/2000 for finishing before stropping with the 5/3.5 micron diamond paste. I think that Dan was planning on getting a 5000/8000 Shapton set is he continued in that direction. Possibly with the Chosera stones I may be good finishing with the 3000 and moving to the strops (?)I also have an extra set of leather stops and some .5 and .25 micron diamond slurry. I am still reading and trying to learn and get up to speed. I have also read a bunch of Ken's stuff.

A buddy of mine told me just today, that if I sharpened as much as I read about sharpening, all my knives would be razors and I could just relax

:)

For what I am doing with my blades, I kind of feel like I am getting to the point of dimishing returns, but I would like to get a progression that will give me a decent edge that looks reasonably good. Stopping with the 600 grit diamonds before stropping is just not getting it.

So, I am interested in the Shaptons, but working from ignorance here, not sure that they are the best place to invest the cash. Looking for advice...

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PhilipPasteur. Reason: additional thouught, typos

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1636

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
I was indeed intending to continue with a 5k/8k pairing, which would finish the edges up to ready for stropping. The Shaptons will clean up the edge FAR more than the 600 diamonds, but will NOT get you to a mirror polish, even after stropping. According to Ken, the polish starts at the 5k Shapton level.

I've PMed you Ken's email address, he knows everything you could ever want to know about sharpening on stones and is a really easy guy to talk to. He can easily walk you through progressions of any kind you like, and to any endpoint you like. :)

Re: F/S - Shapton 1K / 2K Paddles 2 years 7 months ago #1671

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
Still up for grabs!
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds