Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: zdp189 miyabi being a real pain

zdp189 miyabi being a real pain 1 week 6 days ago #18705

• nicholas6225
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Hey there guys, I'm having some problems with some of my pm steels specifically trying to get them sharp, I've apexed the edge, obtained burrs on both sides, but the edge is very rough and not even close to hair popping. I started with 400 diamond all the way through 1200/1600, micron ceramics, 2000/3000 whetstone,and stoped from 14um to .25um from balsa, leather, to nano cloth. I apexed the edge at 800 grit and it still wasn't even close to a proper edge. When I moved to the strops I lowered it two degrees from 14 degree each side to 12 degrees. This is the third time of gone at it with this knife and I'm starting to feel defeated. I looked up other people's inquiries about zdp189 and found using light pressure and patience would help but I can't seem to find the proper technique to sharpen this cool steel. Does anyone have any other suggestions when sharpening zdp189 or any other pm steels. Please help:(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:zdp189 miyabi being a real pain 1 week 6 days ago #18708

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 381
I have found that sometimes when I get frustrated and tired that it helps for me to leave the sharpening session for a bit and come back later.... Preferably after a good night of sleep
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

zdp189 miyabi being a real pain 1 week 5 days ago #18709

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
I think your angles are too high.The angle of each blade is honed by an artisan to 9.5 - 12 degrees per side. The acute angle in concert with the Honbazuke method yields scalpel-like sharpness.
Another thought is that with low angles the blade flexes slightly so it is important to let the stones (plates) do the work so just enough to engage the grit otherwise the pressure may well be varying the angles as you work away resulting in all sorts of angles at the edge this could be what is happening to you.
I suggest going for an even pressure and speed and keep reviewing the edge with a loupe .
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds