Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 3 weeks 11 hours ago #18664

• therealsmif
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I bought my WEPS just over 2 months ago, so I'm fairly new to sharpening knives as a hobby. I've broken in my stones and I'm producing some incredible edges. However, my serrated edges are being neglected. I want to learn how to sharpen them, but I wanted to get a professional's or another hobbist's opinion(s) first before I spend any money. I've looked on YouTube and seen people sharpening with stone wheels, polishing wheels, coned files and electric sharpeners. I really don't know what the best way is. Any one have any inputs on the best way to sharpen a serrated edge? Additionally, does anyone know if a polishing wheel will take off the black powder coating off of the knife?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 3 weeks 9 hours ago #18666

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 381
You mentioned stone wheels... that was probably the system I threw together because I was in the exact same dilema you were in, except for I was running a sharpening business and needed a way that was accurate and efficient at sharpening serrated edges. Finally I figured it out!

Wicked Edge doesn't have anything yet, but Clay assures us that it is in the works. But as with anything, it takes time to put out a quality product that has a patent applied for on it.

The only thing you have to be worried about with powered systems is the heat... so keep that in mind.

If you are using the Razor Sharp shaper wheel w/ polishing compound then yes, it should remove any paint you have on your edge. However, if you let it walk up the side of your blade, it will scuff it, but it will not remove the paint to the bare metal without a lot of effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, therealsmif

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 3 weeks 8 hours ago #18668

• therealsmif
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Josh. I'm pretty sure you're right about the stone wheels video. I saw that video on YouTube...that was pretty ingenious. I remember that wicked edge is supposed to be coming out with something for serrated edges, but I have some blades that desperately need attention. What's your take on coned files? I have many blades that have a black coating and don't want that to come off. I know for certain I'd mess up a few blades (mostly the paint) before I'd get the hang of it.

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 3 weeks 7 hours ago #18669

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 223
therealsmif? As in Snuffy Smif and the Real McCoys??

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 3 weeks 7 hours ago #18670

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 381
therealsmif wrote:
Thanks Josh. I'm pretty sure you're right about the stone wheels video. I saw that video on YouTube...that was pretty ingenious. I remember that wicked edge is supposed to be coming out with something for serrated edges, but I have some blades that desperately need attention. What's your take on coned files? I have many blades that have a black coating and don't want that to come off. I know for certain I'd mess up a few blades (mostly the paint) before I'd get the hang of it.

IMO coned files will really only work well if 1. you do it properly and 2. you follow it up by stropping with a buffing compound. If you want to do it cheaply then you could go w/ cone files and Razor Sharp's shaper wheel for buffing... quick, easy, and hair popping sharp!

As far as the black coating... what are you meaning here? the serrated portion should not be coated black unless you applied an aftermarket finish. You shouldn't have any trouble staying in the serrations and avoiding the black coating on the main blade as long as you keep your angle semi-close. it's not rocket science. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 2 weeks 6 days ago #18671

• therealsmif
  • Fresh Boarder
My bad Josh. I reread the last part of what you said, "it will not remove the paint to the bare metal without a lot of effort." In my mind, I read that it WILL remove the paint. That was what I was questioning and what I was worried about. Guess I'll just have the play around with it. Thanks again, Josh. Sorry for the confusion.

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 2 weeks 6 days ago #18672

• therealsmif
  • Fresh Boarder
tcmeyer wrote:
therealsmif? As in Snuffy Smif and the Real McCoys??

Haha...I actually got the nickname "Smiff" from Smith at work and it just kind of evolved into a username.

Sharpening a Serrated Edge 2 weeks 6 days ago #18673

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 223
For those too young to remember, Smif was a mispronunciation of the name Snuffy Smith, a hillbilly cartoon character dating from back in the '30's thru the 50's. Snuffy Smith and Barney Google were the main characters. Further info at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Google_and_Snuffy_Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds