Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problem with my vise?

Re:Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18006

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
Always amazed with the excellent customer service. Truely painless. Call and speak to Kyle
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18007

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
blacksheep25 wrote:
Regarding the comment about material choice; something else to consider is that the vise jaws could be made of tool steel or something that absolutely would not bend _but_ then you'd mar the blade instead of the clamp. An ideal solution would be a harder/stiffer vice with softer pad inserts... Clay, I'll chew on this and send you some thoughts for a prototype. =)

For the record, I've never had a problem with clamping force across many different blade shapes and profiles (e.g. FFG, 3/4-grind, etc), and I haven't bent my stock jaws either.

I would be in favor of harder material. Even the current vice will scratch some finishes if not careful. I always tape the blade or have moleskin on the vice.

Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18008

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it posible (with normal human strength) to over tighten using the WE hex key and bend the vice?

I would expect to bend the vice if i used a full size T handle hex wrench or a "L" hex wrench that was long enough.

Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18015

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
blacksheep25 wrote:
Regarding the comment about material choice; something else to consider is that the vise jaws could be made of tool steel or something that absolutely would not bend _but_ then you'd mar the blade instead of the clamp. An ideal solution would be a harder/stiffer vice with softer pad inserts... Clay, I'll chew on this and send you some thoughts for a prototype. =)

For the record, I've never had a problem with clamping force across many different blade shapes and profiles (e.g. FFG, 3/4-grind, etc), and I haven't bent my stock jaws either.

Hey Brian, you need to come around more often! ;)

I had a custom vise made out of A2 tool steel and then hardened. I bent two stock jaws (and yes, WE's customer service rocks. I currently have an un-used brand new stock vise as a back up, not that I will ever need it.) I did not feel as if I was over-tightening the stock vise either. The way I determine if it is "tight" is by grabbing the handle and using relatively light pressure to try and move it up and down. if it moves at all then it is not tight enough.... thus my custom vise ;)

It is a beast and I have yet to fear breaking it (and man have I TWEAKED on that thing). I normally use an 'L' shaped allen wrench so I can really clamp down. I do not have any issues of marring any of the blades that I sharpen. Of course, if I am sharpening high end customs I do tape the blade or use some sort of padding (just to be safe).
The following user(s) said Thank You: blacksheep25

Re:Re: Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18016

• cakes072185
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
razoredgeknives wrote:
blacksheep25 wrote:

Hey Brian, you need to come around more often! ;)

I had a custom vise made out of A2 tool steel and then hardened. I bent two stock jaws (and yes, WE's customer service rocks. I currently have an un-used brand new stock vise as a back up, not that I will ever need it.) I did not feel as if I was over-tightening the stock vise either. The way I determine if it is "tight" is by grabbing the handle and using relatively light pressure to try and move it up and down. if it moves at all then it is not tight enough.... thus my custom vise ;)

It is a beast and I have yet to fear breaking it (and man have I TWEAKED on that thing). I normally use an 'L' shaped allen wrench so I can really clamp down. I do not have any issues of marring any of the blades that I sharpen. Of course, if I am sharpening high end customs I do tape the blade or use some sort of padding (just to be safe).
Where did you get it and how much?
Learning every day.

Re:Re: Problem with my vise? 3 months 2 weeks ago #18017

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
It was around $125 if I am not mistaken... but he cut me a deal and didn't charge me for HT since he threw it in with a batch of other items. It was done through a local metal fabrication shop... I took my existing vise in and said "I want an exact replica of this made out of tool steel and then hardened" and they did it!!

I would check with some of your local shops to see what they can do for you...

Problem with my vise? 3 months 1 week ago #18053

• cakes072185
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
New vise is installed with 2 knives mirror polished! Working perfectly. Now I am taking great care to not over tighten. I will say this: I used to see if it was tight enough by trying to move the end of the handle up and down. I've learned that is not a reasonable test. Even if I can move the end of the handle up and down, the stones won't. I'm not saying it's loose, but the leverage the handle test uses is way more that the stones place on the blade. Just wanted to share me thoughts, hopefully some newbie like me will avoid the same mistake. Also, WE customer service is the best I have ever dealt with.
Learning every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives, mark76, Geocyclist

Problem with my vise? 3 months 1 week ago #18057

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Cakes, nice photo.

Most of my knifes are 3" blade folder, so not too heavy.

For some larger knives, I trace with sharpie on the blade a straight line from the top of the vice. That way if it moves it is easy to see. Sharpie comes off with alcohol for me, but be careful, I don't know if this is 100% true.

I also use moleskin they vice. I found if I use both moleskin and tape on the blade it slips real easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds