Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Problem with my vise?

Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17991

  • cakes072185
  • cakes072185's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 1
So I need some expert help. I've noticed lately that my angles look different when I'm done. So i put the angle cube on the knife and I'm getting a 2 degree difference from left to right. I just checked 4 knives and they're all almost identical. The degrees are different from knife to knife, but all about 2 degrees different. All knives are leaning to the left. Now when I back the screws all the way out and push the vise together, the top doesn't touch. I'll try and get a pic now.

Is this normal? Thanks in advance for your help guys

Edit: when I checked I made sure I checked not using any flat grind blades.
Learning every day.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by cakes072185.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17992

  • Mikedoh
  • Mikedoh's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 447
  • Thank you received: 105
  • Karma: 14
Looks like it's bent.

Pertinent thread. www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/8-sharpener-...837-bent-clamp#16222

Call WE and explain your problem with the vise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17993

  • cakes072185
  • cakes072185's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 1
Mikedoh wrote:
Looks like it's bent.

Pertinent thread. www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/8-sharpener-...837-bent-clamp#16222

Call WE and explain your problem with the vise.
Really. I really thought I made sure not to over tighten. I wanted to sharpen an esee 6 but couldn't get it to not move with out more tightening, so I didn't sharpen it.
Learning every day.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17994

  • cakes072185
  • cakes072185's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 1
I didn't start to notice this until about a week or two ago, but I wasn't looking for it in the beginning. I'm not saying it came like this, but I didn't notice it until I started getting decent edges and trying to perfect them.
Learning every day.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17995

  • tcmeyer
  • tcmeyer's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 206
  • Thank you received: 142
  • Karma: 21
As you'll see in the thread Mike suggested, this has happened to a few others before you.

I'm pretty sure that it's caused by over-tightening. Occasionally you'll find a blade which is really hard and isn't held properly by the bite of the vise. Imagine trying to hold a piece of glass with a pliers. Too hard, too slippery. So the tendency is to over-tighten. The mechanical advantage provided by the clamping jack screw is really high - and capable of distorting the clamp jaws.

If you have a blade which doesn't clamp securely with normal pressure (less than about one-half turn past contact on the jack screw) try putting tape on the blade to give the vise something to bite into, or add some form of liner to your jaws - like chamois. I prefer something thin to reduce the chance of angular mounting errors. I use a small patch of Scott Shop Towels.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17996

  • jimbowfnx
  • jimbowfnx's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 23
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
Mine did the same thing. Not to happy about it either. For the cost of the WE you would think it would've came with better materials for the vice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17997

  • cakes072185
  • cakes072185's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 1
tcmeyer wrote:
As you'll see in the thread Mike suggested, this has happened to a few others before you.

I'm pretty sure that it's caused by over-tightening. Occasionally you'll find a blade which is really hard and isn't held properly by the bite of the vise. Imagine trying to hold a piece of glass with a pliers. Too hard, too slippery. So the tendency is to over-tighten. The mechanical advantage provided by the clamping jack screw is really high - and capable of distorting the clamp jaws.

If you have a blade which doesn't clamp securely with normal pressure (less than about one-half turn past contact on the jack screw) try putting tape on the blade to give the vise something to bite into, or add some form of liner to your jaws - like chamois. I prefer something thin to reduce the chance of angular mounting errors. I use a small patch of Scott Shop Towels.
Do you know the price to remedy this? Are they both bent or just the right usually?
Learning every day.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by cakes072185.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #17998

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 705
  • Thank you received: 305
  • Karma: 38
cakes072185 wrote:
tcmeyer wrote:
As you'll see in the thread Mike suggested, this has happened to a few others before you.

I'm pretty sure that it's caused by over-tightening. Occasionally you'll find a blade which is really hard and isn't held properly by the bite of the vise. Imagine trying to hold a piece of glass with a pliers. Too hard, too slippery. So the tendency is to over-tighten. The mechanical advantage provided by the clamping jack screw is really high - and capable of distorting the clamp jaws.

If you have a blade which doesn't clamp securely with normal pressure (less than about one-half turn past contact on the jack screw) try putting tape on the blade to give the vise something to bite into, or add some form of liner to your jaws - like chamois. I prefer something thin to reduce the chance of angular mounting errors. I use a small patch of Scott Shop Towels.
Do you know the price to remedy this? Are they both bent or just the right usually?

normally it's both... you won't have to pay anything. Call WE and ask for kyle. he will fix you up. the Wicked Edge team takes care of us =)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Re:Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #18000

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1192
  • Thank you received: 359
  • Karma: 86
razoredgeknives wrote:
cakes072185 wrote:
Do you know the price to remedy this? Are they both bent or just the right usually?

normally it's both... you won't have to pay anything. Call WE and ask for kyle. he will fix you up. the Wicked Edge team takes care of us =)

Yup, give them a call. This has happened before and as far as I know they've helped everyone for free. Customer service is very good.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem with my vise? 3 weeks 2 days ago #18002

  • blacksheep25
  • blacksheep25's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 47
  • Thank you received: 25
  • Karma: 4
Regarding the comment about material choice; something else to consider is that the vise jaws could be made of tool steel or something that absolutely would not bend _but_ then you'd mar the blade instead of the clamp. An ideal solution would be a harder/stiffer vice with softer pad inserts... Clay, I'll chew on this and send you some thoughts for a prototype. =)

For the record, I've never had a problem with clamping force across many different blade shapes and profiles (e.g. FFG, 3/4-grind, etc), and I haven't bent my stock jaws either.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by blacksheep25. Reason: typo(s)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds