Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Micro-chipping on the edge - Causes and Remedies?

Micro-chipping on the edge - Causes and Remedies? 3 months 2 days ago #17920

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Old rusty garden tools work well
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives

Micro-chipping on the edge - Causes and Remedies? 1 month 3 weeks ago #18298

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Maybe a month late, but have you taken notice of your grip on the stones? I'd think maybe a grip higher on the stones might lead to more pressure towards the apex and might contribute to chipping. I've found that my thumbs in the second indentation from the top has yielded the best edges and most consistency. Just my 2 cents. And of course, pressure seems to always be the key when sharpening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, GibCurry, flugzeit

Micro-chipping on the edge - Causes and Remedies? 1 month 3 weeks ago #18325

• flugzeit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
uofaengr wrote:
Maybe a month late, but have you taken notice of your grip on the stones? I'd think maybe a grip higher on the stones might lead to more pressure towards the apex and might contribute to chipping. I've found that my thumbs in the second indentation from the top has yielded the best edges and most consistency. Just my 2 cents. And of course, pressure seems to always be the key when sharpening.
To be honest, I think you're on to something here. I have been tending to hold the stones quite high up and exerting pressure at the very top of the stone with my index finger (with the idea that I would take out any play between rod and stones). However, thinking about it now I can see your point, that this technique/grip might be putting to much pressure on the very apex. Your other point is also well made: use lighter pressure! :)

Thanks for the response.

-flugzeit

Re:Micro-chipping on the edge - Causes and Remedies? 1 month 3 weeks ago #18339

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
flugzeit wrote:
uofaengr wrote:
To be honest, I think you're on to something here. I have been tending to hold the stones quite high up and exerting pressure at the very top of the stone with my index finger (with the idea that I would take out any play between rod and stones). However, thinking about it now I can see your point, that this technique/grip might be putting to much pressure on the very apex. Your other point is also well made: use lighter pressure! :)

Thanks for the response.

-flugzeit

No problem, always here to help!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds