Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My first week with the WEPS

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18296

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Tom, you seem to come from an engineering background also, and you're correct just as I stated earlier that I think some of us look for too much precision from equipment that isn't equipped for such. I'll probably end up with the new arms eventually anyway as I just like the design of those better, but as stated before, I've gotten great edges with not checking any angles other than the angle I start with and if I choose to lower my angle to strop. I'll get a chance to try out the SWAT jigs this week with the old arms so I'll be sure to post what I find. I think the key is more in keeping a consistent hold on the stones with consistent strokes which fortunately I've been able to do and has led to wonderful edges as I've been able to get as sharp of edges as my very sharpest edge I ever attained with the EP to 0.5 micron.

I picked up some 10-32 socket cap screws this weekend to replace the thumbscrews on the arms and it seems the threads are too coarse so maybe these were changed at some point?

As always, I appreciate you guys' help. I love this system and am constantly finding an excuse to sit in front of it and sharpen or just tinker with it. Sharpening is truly enjoyable to me again, and thanks Clay for a great system.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18306

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
try M5 size screws (metric)... i replaced mine also and believe that was the size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: uofaengr

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18322

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 257
Hey Clay! Is Josh right? Are they actually tapped for 5mm metric?? That would explain why my 10-32's pulled out.

Also, the double-face tape I'm using is not "FastEdge" but "FastTape". Gee, I hope that's right...

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18323

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
tcmeyer wrote:
Hey Clay! Is Josh right? Are they actually tapped for 5mm metric?? That would explain why my 10-32's pulled out.

Also, the double-face tape I'm using is not "FastEdge" but "FastTape". Gee, I hope that's right...

whatever I used (m5 if I remember correctly) was the right one, because I have been using it for about 1.5 years before I upgraded to the pp2 and it never pulled out. the nut and bolt place said it didn't seem to be a perfect fit for anything though and that it was "weird" lol.

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18324

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
Ok I tried the swat jigs on my old style arms briefly. I could only get the right hand one on the bar as the one on the left wouldn't go past the 30 degree mark. I briefly tried the process with just the right stone. I feel like these are suited better for the ball joint arms with micro adjustments unless I'm just doing it wrong. I tried pinching the stone like Tom describes in his post but there is enough wiggle in the joint plus slight movement from the stone bore/rod interface that it was difficult for me to tell any variance between one stone to the next. Unless I'm doing it wrong, for me it'd be faster to put the cube on between grits.

Speaking of wiggle in the joint, I assume my joints purchased a couple months ago are the new Gen 2 arms with the tighter universal joint as described at oldawan? I've read about in the past having to put in the washers and all that. Josh has let me in on a machine screw mod for these joints that sound like it works well. Just to be sure, do these look like the new Gen 2 arms? I don't know just by looking at them if you can tell or if the first gen arms had a lot of daylight on either side of the joint.

Not that there's a ton of wiggle, but I feel like with the swat jig it'd be much easier to only have to fiddle with the micro adjust screw.

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18327

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 257
UofA guy:
I did a brief experiment today, using the front clamping screw instead of the micro-adjust when adjusting for the SWAT units. I haven't yet run the same test with the old joint, but it seemed to work pretty good. I was impressed. Note, I have turned the degree bar around and have flattened the end of the clamping screw to reduce twisting forces during tightening. I think I recall you saying that you'd turned your bar around too. Nicht wahr?

The proof of the pudding will show up in your scratch patterns. Do they seem to show an angle change?

Josh: 10-32 is so close to M5x0.8 that I think they're just about interchangeable. The metric is about 0.00635" bigger in the diameter of the tap drill and the thread works out to be 31.75 TPI. It would explain why my screws seem loose. But why would WE mix English and Metric threads?

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18332

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
Tom:
I couldn't get the left one on the bar as the bar was too thick around the 30 degree mark or so. I had just tried to only set the angle with the right hand stone, set the VSTA, then change to a different stone.

No matter anyway, I just placed an order for the PP2 upgrade. Long story short, I appreciate good design that makes the job easier and more consistent. I was getting great results with the stock setup, but I like having the best. I really like the micro adjust of the upgraded arms. I'll give the VSTAs another go when I get the new setup, but it won't hurt my feelings at all to put the cube on between grits and micro adjust. Even with the old arms, it was only taking me seconds to put the cube on and move the arms accordingly. What was taking the most time with me is that I put tape on the sides of my cube so that the surface isn't cross contaminating everything. I change the tape once I hit the ceramics, then I change again when I hit the leather, and a final time when I move on to the 1u/0.5u.

I hope with the new arms maybe I can use the base rod turned the "normal" way, then when it comes time for stropping, just move the arms up two slots. I'm also curious if anyone covers their VSTAs in any way to prevent cross contamination or if you even worry about it. I suppose the occasional wipe with alcohol would help.

Greatly looking forward to getting the new arms, and I really hope I get them before this weekend!

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18334

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice Jordan! you won't be disappointed!

did you get them longer or just regular length for now to see how you like those?

bob nash or WE? :P

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18336

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
Nice Jordan! you won't be disappointed!

did you get them longer or just regular length for now to see how you like those?

bob nash or WE? :P

Crap, I totally forgot! I got them from WE through Amazon. Longer rods would've been nice. I don't know if these are threaded 1/4-20, but I've seen plenty of 1/4-20 threaded rod out there...usually in foot long lengths though.

Re:My first week with the WEPS 2 months 2 weeks ago #18337

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
no worries man! you can always "upgrade" them later if you think you will need them... but I think you will be more than pleased as they are!
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds