Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My first week with the WEPS

My first week with the WEPS 19 hours 24 minutes ago #18211

• uofaengr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Did this a couple weeks ago but just now getting a chance to post. I did the main edge first and reclamped to get the tip. With the knife being so long I rested it on the base and it held sturdy for the tip. The owner had said he used a buffing wheel on this knife and the transition was noticeably rounded. I think it turned out pretty well compared to how it looked in the beginning.

My question now is do others check their angle between grits on the diamonds? I've done that on some knives and have found variance nearly as much as 0.4 degrees or so. Would the SWAT jigs be a quick remedy for this or do you not worry about it? I'm using the old arms by the way and it can get tedious tightening and untightening. I get pretty good polishes but have wondered if the angles not being exact have led to more scratches remaining. It's difficult to check the angle on the ceramics since obviously there's no metal to stick to and they tend to want to rock a little bit. On the strops I've been lowering the angle 2 degrees on the past several knives I've done. All the edges are laser sharp even when not checking the angles. The 1k grit edge on my more and more broken in stones leaves a satisfying, sticky sharp edge that makes you all giddy inside. I'd love to see a video demo of the swat jigs with an angle cube and just how they work in general.
Last Edit: 19 hours 19 minutes ago by uofaengr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

My first week with the WEPS 18 hours 40 minutes ago #18212

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 303
uofaengr wrote:
My question now is do others check their angle between grits on the diamonds? I've done that on some knives and have found variance nearly as much as 0.4 degrees or so. Would the SWAT jigs be a quick remedy for this or do you not worry about it? I'm using the old arms by the way and it can get tedious tightening and untightening. I get pretty good polishes but have wondered if the angles not being exact have led to more scratches remaining. It's difficult to check the angle on the ceramics since obviously there's no metal to stick to and they tend to want to rock a little bit. On the strops I've been lowering the angle 2 degrees on the past several knives I've done. All the edges are laser sharp even when not checking the angles. The 1k grit edge on my more and more broken in stones leaves a satisfying, sticky sharp edge that makes you all giddy inside. I'd love to see a video demo of the swat jigs with an angle cube and just how they work in general.

Great job man! yeah it definitely turned out well! One thing I like to do when the transition is rounded out on tantos is to take your lower grit stones (or belt sander) and re-shape your tanto tip/transition by grinding perpendicular into the edge. Then you can sharpen for a nice clean tanto transition. Now, on to your questions...

I would say that after you check the variance in your stones one good time, you won't need to check them every time. My diamonds tend to be very uniform in how they were mounted, but others (like Tom - tcmeyer) have reported that they were mounted very "crookedly" to where one side was higher than the other. But the plates themselves were designed to be consecutively thinner so that it ever so slightly widens your angle with each transition (I am talking a very minuscule amount here). And yes, if you are wanting to adjust the for the width of your stones the SWAT is something you need to use (for speed's sake)... but I find that I don't need it because I know how my stones perform (even though I have it).

I will have to see, but maybe I can knock out a video soon of what you are wanting. Oh, and one of the keys that I have found with the scratches is to avoid the 100/200's if you can... if not then spend a LOT of time with the 400's to remove those deeper scratches, or they will reveal themselves at higher grits (they are very deep).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds