Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My first week with the WEPS

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17940

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
The knife was very thin so while it read about zero degrees on the left side, it read about 3 degrees on the right side of the blade. I split this in half to subtract 1.5 degree from the left and add 1.5 to the right making it a true 18 degree bevel. I guess the knife could've shifted though I thought it was solid. The bevels turned out even and it was laser sharp at 1k grit.

For the Volli I did the same thing as you suggested and don't know why I was throwing myself off in my head. I matched the factory angle which was 20 degrees per side for a thin, even bevel. The stones are getting more broken in and it's reflected in the polish. I also tried stropping at 2 degrees lower for the first time, and it yielded a ridiculously sharp edge. I think this will be my go to technique for stropping from now on. This is all the way to .5 CBN on roo.

My hand positioning with the thumbs in the second indents from the top with my pinkies locked on has become second nature now. As the diamonds break in more I'm getting crazy sharp edges. I like this system so much more than the EP it's not even funny. Sharpening is enjoyable to me again when before it felt more a chore. I could literally sit and sharpen all day with the WEPS or as long as my back doesn't stiffen too much ;). It's true when they say don't judge the system by your first or even fifth knife, even if you're already "good" at sharpening via other methods.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives, Geocyclist, LeoBarr

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17941

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 356
nice man! that turned out beautiful!!!

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17947

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
Thanks for the photos. Glad you are getting good results. WhenI first started I was skeptical about the whole diamonds breaking in thing, but it was true and it just got so much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17948

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the kind words :). I'll be sure to post more pics as I do some more knives to this level of finish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17959

• Rackenhack
  • Fresh Boarder
I just bought my Wicked Edge sharpening system off of E-Bay...it has all the bells and whistles...the first two knives I sharpened were both from Boker and I was truly disappointed with the results...the knives were much sharper before I worked them...now you could run them over your throat and put pressure on them and not even scratch yourself. I have followed all the instructions...and watched all the U-Tube videos of how to use the system...copied the techniques and still no decent results..
I was hoping that someone in the forum could give me some pointers on what the heck I might be doing wrong...I have a Sharpmaker from Spyderco and I can use it for good results..so I have an idea on how to sharpen a knife...so I am puzzled as to what I could be doing that might be wrong on a system that on the surface looks so easy to use....help!

My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17960

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 638
Rackenhack wrote:
I just bought my Wicked Edge sharpening system off of E-Bay...it has all the bells and whistles...the first two knives I sharpened were both from Boker and I was truly disappointed with the results...the knives were much sharper before I worked them...now you could run them over your throat and put pressure on them and not even scratch yourself. I have followed all the instructions...and watched all the U-Tube videos of how to use the system...copied the techniques and still no decent results..
I was hoping that someone in the forum could give me some pointers on what the heck I might be doing wrong...I have a Sharpmaker from Spyderco and I can use it for good results..so I have an idea on how to sharpen a knife...so I am puzzled as to what I could be doing that might be wrong on a system that on the surface looks so easy to use....help!

Rackenhack,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for jumping on with our questions. I'm sure we can help you get screaming sharp edges in pretty short order. To start, please take a look at this FAQ article: https://www.wickededgeusa.com/categoryblog/118-i-just-got-my-wicked-edge-and-sharpened-my-first-knife-its-not-as-sharp-as-i-thought-it-would-be-whats- It'll help you identify and eliminate all the common causes of not getting your knives as sharp as you'd like them to be. Please keep telling us of your results as you go.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable, skilled sharpeners on the forum that will be able to help you out.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re:Re: My first week with the WEPS 1 month 2 weeks ago #17962

• cakes072185
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Rackenhack wrote:
I had the same thing when I bought it. I didn't really think it mattered about the stones breaking in, but it does. I also came from the sharpmaker. When I used it, I never raised a burr on it. Once. And I could get some pretty sharp edges on that thing. Then I went to wicked edge and I made it stupid dull. I bought a jewlers loupe and I saw I wasn't getting to the edge. for me, getting the burr was the first problem I had to figure out. After getting the burr thing down, next was technique. I do one side at a time. I am not ambidextrous at all. What I do is I raise a burr on the right side, then left, then right, then left. That is with one grit. I only do the scrubbing motion, going up and down, with the 50s, 80s, and 100s. After that I only draw the stone upwards. I started with the regular arms. To get the angle right I had to push the top of the stone in, pull the bottom out while using it to take up the play. Recently got the pro pack 2 upgrade kit, and it really is night and day if you want to tweak out. That being said I did get very sharp edges with the original arms, but mirror edges with pp2 arms. But step one is breaking in stones. Hope some of this makes sense. I was super disappointed when I first got it. By a week larer, albeit heavy usage, I couldn't of been happier. And then I upgraded the arms, got the 50/80 set, 1200/1600 ceramics and now it's amazing. Let me know if I can help. Hope this helps someone lol.
Learning every day.

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 4 days ago #18091

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
Well the edges are getting better and better as I've settled into a consistent hold on the paddles and the stones get more broken in. Stropping two degrees lower is producing hair whittling edges right on the machine.

My question now is tanto blades. I've watched Clay's video, but have heard of some different approaches on tantoes. I was wondering what some with a lot of tanto experience do? Keep the blade in one spot and work both edges from this position or reclamp for the tip? Easier to turn the machine around and sharpen towards the heel?

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 3 days ago #18094

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 356
uofaengr wrote:
Well the edges are getting better and better as I've settled into a consistent hold on the paddles and the stones get more broken in. Stropping two degrees lower is producing hair whittling edges right on the machine.

My question now is tanto blades. I've watched Clay's video, but have heard of some different approaches on tantoes. I was wondering what some with a lot of tanto experience do? Keep the blade in one spot and work both edges from this position or reclamp for the tip? Easier to turn the machine around and sharpen towards the heel?

I would say that it is easiest however it is most comfortable for you... there are more than one way to sharpen tanto tips... I have sharpened it by leaving it clamped in the vise and not re-positioning, and I have also re-positioned (which you will need to do if you want a precise angle because there is no way to know exactly what the angle at the tip is if you don't re-position). The biggest thing is to not let your stone roll around your tip and dull it from what it could be (a needle).
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76, Geocyclist

Re:My first week with the WEPS 1 month 3 days ago #18096

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 638
uofaengr wrote:

When I sharpen customer tantos at shows, I remount the knife to work on the the front of the blade. It takes a little longer to do it this way since you have to start over and work through all the stone changes but if you're looking for the bevel to be a consistent size throughout then it's the way to go.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geocyclist
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds