Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My first week with the WEPS

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17875

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 420
tcmeyer wrote:
I think the general principle in finding the sweet spot for a belly curve is to imagine it as a circular arc. A line going thru the center point of that arc should fall on the pivot point for your slide rods. This should provide the best average conical sweep along the belly, resulting in an angle and bevel width which are most consistent.

Yup, that's the basic trick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17876

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17877

• mark76
  • Administrator
And the circle TC wrote about is featured a couple of times here:
moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2013/03/...wicked-edge-revised/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17878

• uofaengr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
That rear support he came up with is really nice, I think. Anyone with any experience with it?

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17879

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Here's a post

www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/6-techniques...l-s-mods-final#16951

May find some more doing a search on "will chan mods"

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17880

• mark76
  • Administrator
Here's the main thread by Will aka Voodoodaddy:

www.wickededgeusa.com/forum/13-product-a...imitstart=0&start=20

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 1 week ago #17882

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 240
On page two of this thread, I tried to make my point about taking a low grip to keep the stones from tipping as you pass over the edge. I had checked the amount of "slop" in my handles quite a while back, but didn't think my stones were "as delivered." I had scrubbed the bores with a .243 bronze bore brush and thought maybe I'd contributed to the slop.

But I recently received a new set of 400/600 diamond stones and set about checking their inherent slop. Surprisingly, the amount of slop was the same, and alarmingly large. Here are some photos I took to demonstrate the results. You'll see that I applied pressure (not all that much) above and below the fulcrum of the edge.

The first two photos are of my Pro Pack 2 assembly. I have replaced the rods with longer versions, but the rods are exactly the same diameter as those supplied by WE, at 0.250". The stones have never been used up to this point. See the AngleCube readings; about three quarters of a degree.

PP2Handleslopaboveedge.jpg

PP2Handleslopbelowedge.jpg

The second pair of photos are of one of my original PP1 assemblies, which have rods measuring 0.236" in diameter. Would you believe one point nine degrees?

PP1Handleslopaboveedge.jpg

PP1Handleslopbelowedge.jpg

Admittedly, the angles shown are probably exaggerated by the focused points of applied force, but as you can infer, the amount of inherent slop (let's call it looseness) could easily negate the amount of effort we put into making micro-adjustments, unless you concentrate on perfecting your technique with an eye toward avoiding any "rocking" motion.

It also occurs to me that if you change from an "up and away" stroke to a "down and away" stroke, you could easily be altering your bevel angle without knowing it. Gee, and that accounts for a number of times when it seemed I simply wasn't making progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 6 days ago #17883

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 392
Yeah Tom I notice the same thing... It is really only noticeable though when I am sharpening a wide bevel and change from edge trailing to reversing direction and going to edge leading. currently you have to alter your technique when you do this to account for the slop. It would be nice to reduce this play somewhat, but I don't know if it can be completely eliminated without a lot of extra work on Wicked Edge's part. And it's not a huge deal since we all get some beautiful and perfect edges with the existing arms and paddles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 6 days ago #17884

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
We could include bushings in all the handles but it would drive the cost up significantly. One option I've toyed with is going with just a singe handle set and making it so the stones are easily swapped. Then we could include the bushings but we'd lose some of the speed and convenience of switching stones that having multiple, double-sided handles offers.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, mark76

My first week with the WEPS 3 months 6 days ago #17885

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 392
wickededge wrote:
We could include bushings in all the handles but it would drive the cost up significantly. One option I've toyed with is going with just a singe handle set and making it so the stones are easily swapped. Then we could include the bushings but we'd lose some of the speed and convenience of switching stones that having multiple, double-sided handles offers.

yeah, i see the trade off. What do you mean "singe" handle? got any pics for reference? why would it work in a singe handle and not a regular paddle?

thanks for the input clay!
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds