Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which WEPS Base?

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 month ago #294

• NeverDull
  • Fresh Boarder
I use the paperstone base, wash it occasionally and its heavy enough to be stable. My case of stones prolly weighs more than the base!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 month ago #327

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
I believe the granite base is 25 pounds. When I received mine the shipping weight was marked as 30 pounds...minus approx. 5 pounds the heavy duty box and the protection inside...I put the weight at 25 pounds.
For those considering going the wet stone route, you might be able to twist Tom from Jende Industries to get a marble base with a carved basin for catching the water and slurry that comes along with using the Chosera stones.;) But the cost shipped from Taiwan might be pricey. Still wouldn't it be neat(in more ways than one) to have a green marble base with the carved out basin. Can people order one Tom?

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by leomitch.

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 month ago #345

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
I mentioned the green marble base specially designed for using wet stones like the Choseras in the previous post. Here is a shot taken by Clay of the equipment used in an experiment he is doing comparing sharpening using Choseras vs Shaptons with 4 of my knives. This shot gives you an idea what a great base it is. Beauties! Left hand corner of the shot.
Those 4 knives of mine are: an ESEE-4, ESEE-6 (both with blades of 1095 steel) and a Fallkniven TK-2 and Fallkniven PXL folder( both have blades of 3G Powder Steel).
For your interest!

Leo

Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by leomitch.

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 2 weeks ago #627

• phillipsted
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
leomitch wrote:
I had an old butcher block of wood before I got the granite base and it was not good...it moved around too much during the process.

I used an old rock maple 12x12 cutting board for my base. It is about 2" thick. I glued some adhesive rubber pads to the bottom to provide stability - and it works very nicely, even though it is relatively light weight.

Gotta love Paperstone, though. It is made from phenolic resin, and is basically paper micarta - just without the Micarta trademark. There is another company named Richlite which makes a similar product. I've used 0.25" samples to make knife scales from - and Buck is using it for scales now too. Good stuff.

TedP
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 week ago #711

• glenewertz
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm very happy with my Paperstone.

Glen

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 week ago #713

• Razoredge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Cutthroat Sharpening
  • Thank you received: 8
My paperstone base just came in today! Woot! Now I can switch out the 35 pound chunk of steel I was using.

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 week ago #714

• t76turbo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just an opinion..... But I think the paperstone was a little light. I wished it was another pound or so heavier. Had a little more movement when I was using it than I would have liked. But maybe I am just a little heavy handed! I am 6'6" and about 250. So I end up gorilla gripping most stuff.

Re: Which WEPS Base? 3 years 1 week ago #716

• drmatt357
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Can't help it but I love the granite. Pretty much bullet proof, solid, can't hurt it and it LOOKS GOOD! Clay did not have any granite when I ordered my sharpener so, I went to my local granite guy, picked out a piece from his trash bin, he cut it to size and finished the corners. He didn't even charge me but even if he did, it wouldn't have been much. I went to Home Depot and bought the bit to drill it on my press, took 2 minutes using the provided template. Whenever someone sees the sharpener, it's always the base they comment on first.

IMG_0451.JPG
Regards,
Dr. Matt
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds