Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: mirror finish

Re:Re: mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #16999

DanMaloon wrote:
I have all the diamond and ceramic stones along with the strops but have never been able to get a truly clear mirror edge with this progression. Recently I bought some lapping film 6m-.5m and was impressed. After the micro fine ceramics i have been retracing to the 6m film and progressing down to .5m then stroping. Wow. Super clear. The films are quick cutting and ive done about 17 knives so far without needing to replace the strips yet. Ive heard that the same can be achieved with the WE waterstones but i dont have those. Any other ways out there to get a mirror edge

Boy, that sounds like something I would really like to get into. I'm fairly new to the forum so hopefully you get this message. I'm just curious if you had the sticky back film or if you glued it on.
Was it 3M brand? Etc. I know you can get black paddles from WE.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17009

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Hi. So i got my film which is 3m from amazon because i had a gift card, you can by it from several places. I measured and cut them. They weren't adhesive backed so i used doubled sided tape. The material i put them in was the same thickness of the stock stones. I typically reduce the angle a half degree while using the films, return the angle for the super fine ceramics then drop 2 degrees and strop. The edge is super clear. I cant speak for the waterstones because i went with the diamond. Ive done more knives than i can count and my stones are completely broken in to the point of needing new ones again. Ive tried many tricks but so far this is the quickest way to achieve my desired results. I think a dmt 6/3 m dimond stone would be worth looking into. Take it easy

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17010

Thank you very much. I think I am going to try sticking the film to an extra set of stones that I have using foam tape. This may act like the strops. I usually do not reduce my angle when using the leather because I always put a micro bevel on that is 2 degrees more obtuse. I have found that by using the micro bevel I can aim the teeth backwards and I do not have to do that motion which is a more difficult motion for me the whole time I am creating the secondary bevel.

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17011

• dashmatrix
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
call me crazy but I've had pretty good luck doing small circles with the ceramics up and down the stone to even out the wear. super light pressure, almost the weight of the stone and nothing more. it's giving me really good results, and I've been starting with the 100's to do initial profiles quick. It takes a lot of work but by the time I end up on the fine white ceramic it's nice and shiny. 15-20 minutes with the strop and paste and they are looking very nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephenleesharkey

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17013

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
I bought two sheets each of 6 different grit (0.3, 1, 3, 5, 9 and 12mu) adhesive-backed lapping films from Best Sharpening Stones, cost $92 w/ shipping. About 16 strips per page, less than $0.50 per strip.

Wanting to sharpen with diamond grits higher than 1000, I then bought 2 sample packs of diamond grit film from Lee Valley. (Stock # 54K9630 Set(4) PSA Diamond Films) Each pack had 6 small sheets of different grit which would each produce only about 3 strips per sheet. Cost about $47. About $0.65 per strip.

Knowing I was trying to accumulate a lot of grits, I ordered a blank set of blocks from WE, but then decided that I needed way more than I could afford. I made a bunch of blocks out of wood with bronze bushing inserts and 1/4" plate glass. So far so good. My experience it that they last longer than I thought, but I haven't tried more than a few so far.

They are all adhesive-backed film. I even tried moving a used one from one block to another and found that if you lift the tape up keeping tension toward the lifted end, you're less likely to leave adhesive behind.

I'd never use them on a soft substrate, but just because it seems intuitively wrong. Metal or glass get my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17014

Nice job on building your own paddles

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17022

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
As usual, my late-night math is suspect. The diamond film packs from Lee Valley actually are 3" by 6" sheets of four different grits, each sheet producing three strips, for a total of 12 strips per pack. But who needs only three strips when you have two paddles? So I bought two packs for about $47. Twenty-four strips at $47 works out to $1.96 per strip. Pricey stuff.

Lee Valley recommends a light oil to remove the swarf. They claim that the diamond film will last quite a bit longer than other abrasives. It does lay down very nicely on glass and looks absolutely flat.

Having done only a few knives so far with the diamond film, I have to say that I prefer the flatness and exact angle of the film on glass to the flexibility of soft strops. If anybody finds diamond lapping film for less cost, please let me know.

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17032

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
The 4 3m sheets from Amazon were about $6 each and are 6x6. I wipe them clean with alcohol after using them

Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17034

• tcmeyer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
If they're 6 X 6 that's less than half of the cost of the film from Lee Valley, which are 3 X 6 and cost $6.50.

Can you please give me the Amazon page link for them? They have hundreds of 3M films.

Thanx much Dan! :)

Tom / TC
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by tcmeyer.

Re:Re: Re:mirror finish 3 months 2 weeks ago #17036

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 307
tcmeyer wrote:
I bought two sheets each of 6 different grit (0.3, 1, 3, 5, 9 and 12mu) adhesive-backed lapping films from Best Sharpening Stones, cost $92 w/ shipping. About 16 strips per page, less than $0.50 per strip.

Wanting to sharpen with diamond grits higher than 1000, I then bought 2 sample packs of diamond grit film from Lee Valley. (Stock # 54K9630 Set(4) PSA Diamond Films) Each pack had 6 small sheets of different grit which would each produce only about 3 strips per sheet. Cost about $47. About $0.65 per strip.

Knowing I was trying to accumulate a lot of grits, I ordered a blank set of blocks from WE, but then decided that I needed way more than I could afford. I made a bunch of blocks out of wood with bronze bushing inserts and 1/4" plate glass. So far so good. My experience it that they last longer than I thought, but I haven't tried more than a few so far.

They are all adhesive-backed film. I even tried moving a used one from one block to another and found that if you lift the tape up keeping tension toward the lifted end, you're less likely to leave adhesive behind.

I'd never use them on a soft substrate, but just because it seems intuitively wrong. Metal or glass get my vote.

Tc, where do you get the bronze bushings from? How is the play in them? As good as or better than stock?

Josh
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds