Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: mirror finish

mirror finish 7 months 23 hours ago #16700

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
I have all the diamond and ceramic stones along with the strops but have never been able to get a truly clear mirror edge with this progression. Recently I bought some lapping film 6m-.5m and was impressed. After the micro fine ceramics i have been retracing to the 6m film and progressing down to .5m then stroping. Wow. Super clear. The films are quick cutting and ive done about 17 knives so far without needing to replace the strips yet. Ive heard that the same can be achieved with the WE waterstones but i dont have those. Any other ways out there to get a mirror edge
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:mirror finish 7 months 22 hours ago #16703

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
All I got to say is make sure you remove the scratches with the diamonds! I recently had some issues, Goin all the way up to my waterstones and finding that I still had some deeper scratches from my 100 grit diamond :-( you can imagine my disappointment! I would track the progress with a microscope if you can :-) post some pics!

Josh

Re:mirror finish 7 months 21 hours ago #16707

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
Dan, my two ways: 10K choseras or ceramic stones followed by strops with WE 3.5 mu diamond paste. There are ppl who say the latter method doesn't result in a true mirror :huh: , but I beg to differ.

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16992

I tend to agree with Josh. Removing all scratches from previous grits take quite a bit of time, especially with <60 RC steel. The best thing I have found is to use up and down strokes and then push strokes. A person can cross hatch too. Heres an example.

I did up and down strokes with the 400 grit stones until all the previous 200 grit strokes were gone. The way I could tell this is because I do every grit twice, up and down and then sweeping diagonal push strokes. So after I did the up and down strokes with the 400 grit Stones I did diagonal strokes with the 400 grit Stones. Then I proceeded to do up and down strokes with the 600 Stones. Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

If you follow this procedure as you progress all the way to your micro fine ceramics stones you will be able to achieve a true mirror polished edge.

One major thing that I found that really helped me out was to do sweeping strokes hilt to tip and back down to the hilt without lifting off really helps u raise the vertical grind lines. Especially when you get to higher grits.

I am by no means an expert but I would like to try and help as much as I can.

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16993

That was supposed to say erase not u raise. I was using voice to text. Definitely listen to Razor Edge Knives and Hence industries. I've learned a lot from their posts.

Cheers

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16994

Jende industries

Stupid auto correct

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16995

To Danmaloon

Did you put the lapping film on the blank metal paddles from WE? Or did you use soft strops? That sounds like it would be a lot less work. Thanks

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16996

I meant DanMaloon

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16997

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 260
As I've mentioned several times on the forum, I warn against using anything lower than 400 grit when you're close to the apex. Occassionally, they'll produce overly deep scratches and even break out thin sections along the apex.

chip2_2014-04-10.jpg

The chip in the above photo appeared after stoning a cheap kitchen knife (chef's knife) with a 200 grit stone. I had deliberately shunned use of the 100's. With scratches like this, ain't nobody gonna get a mirror finish without a lotta work.

Now, on my sharpening bench, rule #2 says "Thou shalt not approach an apex with less than a 400 grit!"
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by tcmeyer. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re:mirror finish 6 months 1 week ago #16998

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
That's a good point, TC, but it also depends on the angle and the steel. I have no problem appproaching the apex of, for example, 13C26 steel with the 100 grit stones when sharpening at 20 degrees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, EamonMcGowan
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds