Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bent Vise????

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 8 months ago #1572

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
Ralph
There has been a recall on some of the latest vises...just give a call to the WE office and they will send out a replacement right away. They will look after you!

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 8 months ago #1579

• RalphHoneycutt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Leo, Will do. Many thanks for the quick reply.

Ralph

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1615

• RalphHoneycutt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just a quick follow up to let you know that Kay & Bob took care of this. I received my replacement vise last evening. Many thanks!

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1661

i am still waiting for a reply on my bent vise. i sent a email i believe on tuesday.

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1663

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
Hi Zachary :)

To whom did you send the e-mail? Was it to the WE or one of the dealers? If you want prompt response from the WE use the toll free number and phone Kay, Bob or Clay and they will get on it. The phone is best as they get loads of e-mail everyday and sometimes they can't get right to it. The phone is immediate! If you ordered from a dealer I don't know, but I would always use the phone for this type of problem. My two cents worth.

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by leomitch.

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1673

• MODiFiEDZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I received my replacement vise within a week of calling & talking to Bob. The replacement sent was said to be from a new batch of "re hardened" ones. The one I got had a dull matte black chalkboard type of finish, the original vise I had was a shiny, smooth, black. Was the color change to differentiate between the old & new vises, or did they get re hardened butnot re anodized; Ive sharpened several knives & I notice that I don't have to tighten the screws in as much for the blade to be secure. I just tighten the top screw till snug & turn the bottom screw 1/4 turn, & that is tight enough to keep the blade secure. On my old vise I'd have to turn the bottom screw 1/2-1 full turn for the knife to be tight. Ⓣⓗⓐⓝⓚⓢ Ⓖⓤⓨⓢ!

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1889

I actually just noticed this with mine as well. I've been very careful to baby this item, and to follow the instructions to a T. I've actually had a couple knives fall out of the vice, and never really achieved a grip where I would have felt comfortable lifting the entire unit by the knife. I've only used it a handful of times, likely less than fifteen; should I contact Clay?

Re: Bent Vise???? 2 years 7 months ago #1893

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
JonSterrett wrote:
I actually just noticed this with mine as well. I've been very careful to baby this item, and to follow the instructions to a T. I've actually had a couple knives fall out of the vice, and never really achieved a grip where I would have felt comfortable lifting the entire unit by the knife. I've only used it a handful of times, likely less than fifteen; should I contact Clay?

Please call in on Monday, or write any time. There is definitely a problem with your jaws and they need to be replaced ASAP.
--Clay Allison

Re: Bent Vise Replacement 2 years 6 months ago #2391

• MODiFiEDZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you so much! I received my replacement vise 4 days after calling Wicked Edge, it already had a prepaid return shipping label inside the box too. I noticed the new one was a dull matte finish compared to my original glossy finish. I also weighed the old & new & the replacement weight quite a bit more. I measured the dimensions & all are the same, except the new one had one that was slightly shorter than the other so it does not line up perfectly at the top like the originals did.
Here is a pic

Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by MODiFiEDZ.

Re: Bent Vise Replacement 2 years 6 months ago #2402

• JerryStephenson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good job by wicked edge for replacing the jaws.

Remember that the bottom screw is basicly a lever using about a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage to tighten the vice. The top screw I tighten about as tight as I can with the tool provided. The bottom screw I just tighten until I see the gap widen a bit at the bottom which tells me I have strained the jaws a bit and have a nice clamping load on the blade. Don't overtighten the lower screw. --Jerry
Jerry Stephenson
I like to take long walks with just my putter, from the fairway.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds