Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.)

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11699

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
JimMitchell wrote:
If you sharpen at an event/show, do you keep a log book with the customer's name and specific details for their knife (Top/Bottom depth key holes, measurement from alignment guide, angle of edge, etc) for returning customers?

I haven't done shows... but knives I sharpen for others I don't keep track for a few reasons..... one, I suck at keeping records :), but I can usually just mark and check a blade probably as quick as I could look it up. (I also noticed that most returning blades need more than a touch-up anyways.)

I did notice when I saw Bob Nash sharpening at a knife show... he handed them a business card where he had boxes printed for the settings he used, that he wrote them in. Would be interesting to know the "return rate" of knives, and if they still had the card.

Interesting to see what others do.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11700

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132
JimMitchell wrote:
If you sharpen at an event/show, do you keep a log book with the customer's name and specific details for their knife (Top/Bottom depth key holes, measurement from alignment guide, angle of edge, etc) for returning customers?
i have not at the fare, but i do on all that i bring home.....i am going to start maybe, but most just drop off and leave their knives - most do not even ask price - it is like...OH BOY a knife sharpener again.......last year they had another fellow and he only came every other sat, so now they are as happy as i am.... :) :)

i downloaded two from here and ended up using the one that says - wicked edge log - i changed it some to match the way i like to do excel.

it is a nice log whomever set it up by the way.
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11703

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
cbwx34 wrote:
JimMitchell wrote:

I haven't done shows... but knives I sharpen for others I don't keep track for a few reasons..... one, I suck at keeping records :), but I can usually just mark and check a blade probably as quick as I could look it up. (I also noticed that most returning blades need more than a touch-up anyways.)

I did notice when I saw Bob Nash sharpening at a knife show... he handed them a business card where he had boxes printed for the settings he used, that he wrote them in. Would be interesting to know the "return rate" of knives, and if they still had the card.

Interesting to see what others do.
Lol! I hear you on the record keeping!

That's a great idea Bob Nash had using the backs of business cards. Maybe Bob will see this an let us know what his experience is with returning customers and if they still had the business card with the specific settings. Thanks!
Jim

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11704

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
People either bring me their knives or in very special circumstances I will pick them up.
No shows or events yet... I have no time to do that.

I have a three ring binder that I keep... for my knives, those of friends... or ones that I think I will see again.

Obviously, the bulk of the knives are done on the belt grinder... nothing on them.. That method is pretty much seat of the pants anyway!!
:woohoo:

Like Curtis, I kind of suck at "good" record keeping. When I remember I write down the basics.
Height gauge settings, length, angle, progression start and finish, type of knife and steel type when I know or can find it...

Doing that has saved my butt a few times and I am trying to get better at recording things consistently.
It is much quicker to know where to start and not have to mess with sharpies and angle finding exercises.

:)

BTW, if I did shows, I think I might do something like Bob does... even if you never see the people again, it shows that attention to detail that many folks like!!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11705

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
I have a three ring binder that I keep... for my knives, those of friends... or ones that I think I will see again.

Obviously, the bulk of the knives are done on the belt grinder... nothing on them.. That method is pretty much seat of the pants anyway!!
:woohoo:

Like Curtis, I kind of suck at "good" record keeping. When I remember I write down the basics.
Height gauge settings, length, angle, progression start and finish, type of knife and steel type when I know or can find it...

Doing that has saved my butt a few times and I am trying to get better at recording things consistently.
It is much quicker to know where to start and not have to mess with sharpies and angle finding exercises.

:)
Thanks Phil. I completely agree. I like to keep a record of each knife's settings so I know where to begin with it. I've only sharpened knives for friends and family so far. I have a little notebook on my bench next to the WEPS and write down just a few notes on each one. I think I will try the Wicked Edge Log, that Tuffy mentioned, or something like it.

And I've never tried to sharpen a knife on a belt grinder. I'm sure it takes lots of practice and many years of experience to become proficient with a belt grinder. Thanks again!
Jim

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11706

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
JimMitchell wrote:
i have not at the fare, but i do on all that i bring home.....i am going to start maybe, but most just drop off and leave their knives - most do not even ask price - it is like...OH BOY a knife sharpener again.......last year they had another fellow and he only came every other sat, so now they are as happy as i am.... :) :)

i downloaded two from here and ended up using the one that says - wicked edge log - i changed it some to match the way i like to do excel.

it is a nice log whomever set it up by the way.
Thanks Tuffy. Good info and nice videos. "It's a Wicked Edge Kind of Day." Love it!
Jim

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11708

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
This fare last thru two weeks into dec, but only two sats each....nov & dec.

As sharp s these knives are when they leave, I may never see repeaters until may 2014.....no joke
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11709

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
i have not at the fare, but i do on all that i bring home.....i am going to start maybe, but most just drop off and leave their knives - most do not even ask price -

Tuffy..
Just curious, what are you charging per (standard sharpening) blade..?
If you would rather PM me on that.. please do.

BTW, don't worry... they can dull them faster than you can sharpen them..
:ohmy:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11710

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Tuffy..

That would be great info to know. Please PM me as well if you don't mind. Thanks Tuffy!
Jim

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11712

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
i have not at the fare, but i do on all that i bring home.....i am going to start maybe, but most just drop off and leave their knives - most do not even ask price -

Tuffy..

Most serrated......8 bucks

<"))))><(
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds