Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.)

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11418

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Ah ... yes. Thanks for the reminder!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11419

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 128
Mikedoh wrote:
Is that the tormeck attachment cbwx posted a little while back?
i find it works good on small little knives. only 2nd time i have used it for payment knife.

tested it at home on 5 - 3 weeks ago after seeing it here - cbwx post.

i do find that certain small knives are kinda hard to line up true, most are ok
jmho
<"))))><(
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11420

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
R.JeffreyCoates wrote:
Sounds good.

You mentioned "new jaws" ... If I may ask, what were you referring to?

Thanks.

Jeff
maybe vice is a better word.

got new vice from WE - upgrade package
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11421

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Had a fun morning flea market event today, beat the heat for most of it and escaped around 1PM just as it was getting over 90 out! I only ended up sharpening a couple of items, but had several guys take business cards and say they'll bring stuff next Saturday for the next flea market. Around here these events are very popular and lots of people visit the various sales every weekend during the season, so I'm not surprised to have people pledging to bring stuff next time!

I also had a couple nice conversations with people interested in learning more about steel and what makes a good sharp edge. I'm far from a guru, but I try to pass along some of the basics and info I pick up here. Most don't want to get technical though, they just want a sharp knife and couldn't care less about the angle and steel :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11437

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
Tents
I may end up needing a small easy to set up one.
Anyone have any info...?
Thanks
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11439

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Thanks for the posts from everyone... keep 'em coming!

Cool to see the Tormek jig in use.

tuffybraithwaite, like your videos.... "a wicked edge kinda day". :cheer: (You should film some sharpening action!... course hard to do holding your own camera....)

Looks fun!

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11545

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
some how this got posted in the wrong spot.
wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...1543&Itemid=63#11544
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11670

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
here is a video for your viewing pleasure of saturday's farmers fare and hell of a day on thur.
sat - vid is like: 6 mins.

thur. - vid is like: 10 mins.

see ya
good luck to everyone
<"))))><(

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11692

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Thanks for the videos!
wickededge wrote:
With more time on the machine, you get faster, plus doing knives for customers is different than doing them for yourself or your friends. You don't need to agonize over every last scratch. You can often just find the existing angle, match it and start with the 600# stones. From there, it's easy to work through the 600#, 800# and 1000# diamonds and then finish with 20 or so strokes with the strops. The knife you'll give back to your customer will be screaming sharp (depending on the angle of course) and far better than anything they've ever seen before. If you work the same venue often, you'll get the knives back after a while and it's really easy to touch them up, just a matter of a minute or two. At shows, I usually do 5-10 knives per hour if they're not too badly damaged or wanting a major reprofile. I spend more time on knives sent in to the shop, often 20 minutes or more making sure they're perfect.

This is one area I was hoping would crop up a bit more in this thread (so I copied it over here)... time spent on a knife... especially when under a time constraint. I've been doing some sharpening lately similar to what is done with other methods... mark the edge with a sharpie, match or come close to the bevel on the knife, use one coarse stone (100 or 200) to set or cleanup a bevel, (and this will remove minor damages - chips, etc. that a lot of knives have) one fine (600 or 800) to clean it up, dozen or so strokes with a 5m (or any) leather, and done. You can hand a knife back to someone in 5 min. or less... it'll be sharper than most anything they've ever seen, and will pass all the standard tests that most people want to try: cut paper, shave arm hair, etc. no problem. Similar but not quite like what Clay mentioned, if it has a decent edge... one fine stone, strop and done.

I think this is one "feature" of the WE that is often overlooked. There are many posts/videos/etc. on creating polished edges (often with a large time expenditure), but little on the fact that you can sharpen an edge, both sides simultaneously, quickly and precisely, with great results.

Of course the procedure used is based on the goal you're setting... in this case it's a "get it done quickly" goal... and still turn out a quality edge.

Re: Sharpening at Events (Knife Shows, Markets, etc.) 1 year 3 months ago #11697

• JimMitchell
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you sharpen at an event/show, do you keep a log book with the customer's name and specific details for their knife (Top/Bottom depth key holes, measurement from alignment guide, angle of edge, etc) for returning customers?
Jim
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds