Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to verify that the blade is clamped straight

Re: How to verify that the blade is clamped straight 1 year 3 months ago #10777

• R.JeffreyCoates
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
That is a simple and effective solution. The only concern I see is making sure the WEPS is on a level surface. Using the gravity method one is measuring the knife relative to vertical. What one really needs to measure is whether the knife is perpendicular to the WEPS.

Using gravity will show the angle of the knife relative to horizontal (0 degrees) but, the WEPS may or may not be on a level surface. So if the knife is at 90 deg and the WEPS is set on a table with a 2 deg slope the gravity method will show a false 2 deg. error.

What one really wants to measure is the knife to vise angle. Gravity measures the knife to earth angle. For maximum accuracy, all measurements should be taken relative to the WEPS not true 0 degrees.

For example, when I put my WEPS setup on my table and put an angle cube on the base it shows a 0.5 angle. I zero it out and then set my angles.

If you have access to an angle cube I suggest zeroing it out on the WEPS base then setting it against each side of the knife. If the knife is truly perpendicular to the WEPS vise the angles will be equal on each side of the blade. After all, I am not looking for perpendicular to horizontal, I am looking for perpendicular to the WEPS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How to verify that the blade is clamped straight 1 year 3 months ago #10779

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
R.JeffreyCoates wrote:
gravity will show the angle of the knife relative to horizontal (0 degrees) but, the WEPS may or may not be on a level surface. So if the knife is at 90 deg and the WEPS is set on a table with a 2 deg slope the gravity method will show a false 2 deg. error.

What one really wants to measure is the knife to vise angle. Gravity measures the knife to earth angle. For maximum accuracy, all measurements should be taken relative to the WEPS not true 0 degrees.

Absolutely, just as I wrote in my post just before yours I have verified my setup in two different ways to make sure that my table and WEPS are horizontal.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R.JeffreyCoates
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds