Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions
  • Page:

TOPIC: Damaged strop or no big deal?

Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8747

Ok guys, my latest blunder. Took a few bites outta my leather strops accidentally running them across the wicked edge I just proudly made. They're not terrible, but they're not completely insignificant either. Will this noticeably reduce the effectiveness of the strop? Thanks guys.

- Rocco
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8748

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
Hey Rocco,

Of course a picture or two would be very helpful, but at a guess of the damage, I would say that you needn't worry. My strops always get nicked up eventually and still perform well.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8749

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
My strops look like they saw battlefield use, but they work fine :) I've noticed that even if you take some chunks out, when you recharge the paste it will smooth over those spots surprisingly well and staying with consistent motion will still give a nice polish despite the potholes or nicks.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8750

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
Try to cut off the pieces of leather that stick out with a sharp knife (you do have sharp knives, I assume ;) ). Then you should be able to use the strops as before.

A few other tips:
- I found learning stropping with a balsa strop a bit easier. Balsa doesn't get nicked so easily.
- Try to initially restrain yourself to clear up-movements only and don't go too fast. That way you cannot nick your strops.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by mark76.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8755

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Another tip is to strop in sections, especially the tip area, "resetting" the strop at the base of the rod, to insure you're using an edge trailing stroke.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8760

Awesome guys thanks again. Yea they're not that bad so I think I'll be okay. Thanks for the tips as well.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8904

• nicholas6225
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
I found these way too damaged to effectively strop, what are peoples take on them?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117901030162516940903/albums/5839456470313060433/5839456475775461010?hl=en

or this link

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_onCKVPjqkI/U..._20130130_110112.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by nicholas6225.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8918

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Right one looks ok... left one looks pretty bad though. Just looking at the photo... I'd probably replace it. You could try sanding it smooth first and see if that works... nothing to lose at this point I think. My .02.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xuzme720

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8935

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 157
If you do sand it down and try it please post your results. I have not sanded one yet, but am interested how it turns out.

Re: Damaged strop or no big deal? 1 year 7 months ago #8952

• nicholas6225
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Thanks cbwx34, the one on the left was the problem one for me. Learned the hard way stropping with my left hand :ohmy:
Right one looks ok... left one looks pretty bad though. Just looking at the photo... I'd probably replace it. You could try sanding it smooth first and see if that works... nothing to lose at this point I think. My .02.
If you do sand it down and try it please post your results. I have not sanded one yet, but am interested how it turns out

I ended up purchasing new leather and replace the damaged leather strops, so i wont be able to test the sandpaper technique on them but I do also have slightly damaged plain leather strops that i'm contemplating changing the leather on too, depending on how these new leather strops work out..... If all goes well, i'll test the sandpaper technique on those strops for you..... just not sure what grit of sand paper I should use, any ideas?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds