Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: Diamond paste

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8674

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
PhilipPasteur wrote:
How do you get drops? The stuff I have is too thick to get it to make drops??

Drop as in a small quantity of a substance. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8676

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Curtis,
You know how I am about defining terms. A drop has a specific definition. 1 drop=0.05 ml. 1 ml=20 drops.
I think I could get a dollup, or a dab out of my paste.. then diameter and thickness would be important.. :) Just playing with you... of course!

In any case, I have not found the place on the WEPS site where I read a few years back to use an inch long strip. Regardless, I now can say, from experience, that this is way too much. Though I did try it, I did not like the results, at all.

My intent now is to put enough pasts on for a THIN coat applied in a reasonably uniform manner. Whatever that takes. I typically start with less, maybe a dollup :evil:
or two, and add as I go to get the results that I want. In the interest of getting a uniform coating, I have over applied paste and scraped to get the even coat that I want. This might be considered a waste, but it gets me where I want to be. I have a piece of cardboard with the scrapings on it. It works OK for a quick touch up of the edge in the "field".

Leo,
Maybe you didn't see my post after Curtis'. I did say that 20% is likely too much. That will teach me to try to put any difinitive numbers out there... by guestimating from memory. So we can say that the consensus is that using 20% of the tube in one application would be excessive.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8677

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
I saw it, but I wanted to be sure that, especially new people understood, that such large amounts are not necessary,so I wanted to clarify. 'Might be excessive' and 'likely too much'...definitely too much and wasteful.
First-timers read what we old hands say as gospel so I wanted to be clear of the approximate amount of paste to use. Even 10% is more than is necessary on a strop the size found on the WEPS.

regards
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8678

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Got it...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8681

• cbwx34
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Curtis,
You know how I am about defining terms. A drop has a specific definition. 1 drop=0.05 ml. 1 ml=20 drops.
I think I could get a dollup, or a dab out of my paste.. then diameter and thickness would be important.. :) Just playing with you... of course!.

I know, so this will make you laugh. I was going to use dollop (it's not dollup), and knowing it was you, I looked it up first (which is why I know the spelling). :) When I saw one definition was "an indefinite, often large quantity of something", I figured... better not use that with Phil! :evil: ;)

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 7 months ago #8683

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Hmmmm.. I guess I should try to learn to use the spell checker...if there is one.

:oops:

Well, how about a dab (A small amount: a dab of jelly), or maybe smidgeon (A very small quantity or portion; a bit or mite)...
?
:woohoo:
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 6 months ago #9504

As the noob to the wicked edge, I just recieved the 3.5/5 micron strops. The directions that come with the paste say to use a one inch strip of paste. so I did and I had to wait day for it to dry and yesterday I had paste flying of the strop and covering the blade. I wish I would of read this before I loaded my strops. Great thread.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 6 months ago #9506

• cbwx34
Welcome to the forum!

I've been using a quick spritz of alcohol on the strops, has been working well, and keeps the paste on the strop, especially a fresh application. Something you might want to consider trying.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 6 months ago #9508

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
ElizabethGrifffin wrote:
As the noob to the wicked edge, I just recieved the 3.5/5 micron strops. The directions that come with the paste say to use a one inch strip of paste. so I did and I had to wait day for it to dry and yesterday I had paste flying of the strop and covering the blade. I wish I would of read this before I loaded my strops. Great thread.

AHA!! I wasn't hallucinating after all. I know that I saw that one inch... which is likely about 20% of the tube...somewhere.

And yes... GLENN, I did the same as you ... and wished that I had not.
Maybe we can talk Clay into changing the included directions a bit...

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Diamond paste 1 year 6 months ago #9518

BTW, this is my wife's account she opened when she bought me the field and sport for my 30th last month. Sorry for the mix up.
Glenn
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds