Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2451

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 367
Whoa! New scope Clay? Nice pics... what is it?

WOW! Those are some interesting photos and observations Clay! It would seem that there is no sense in going 10>5>3.5>1 when you get the same, if not better results with just going straight to the 1m! Is this observation correct?
wickededge wrote:
Next I wanted to see how the bevel turned out going incrementally but using the same number of passes as the direct 1000 grit to 1 micron test before, so I re-did the edge once more with the 1000 grit diamond stones and then did 100 strokes each with 10 micron, 3.5 micron and 1 micron diamond and leather strops for a total of 300 passes:

10-3.5-1micronafter1000grit-300passes.jpg

510x - 1000 grit diamond> 10 micron> 3.5 micron> 1 micron - 100 passes each

To compare, here again is the 1000 grit to 1 micron:
1micronafter1000grit-300passes.jpg

510x - 1000 grit diamond> 1 micron - 300 passes

Also, it seems as if, when you started w/ the 1k grit and on you weren't really hitting all the way to the edge of the edge, am I right?

BTW, Clay, which knife is that a pic of? I am curious as to how hard that Aus 8 steel is on the HRC scale...

Thanks for checking on the lapping film... still curious as to what your further testing will reveal :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2452

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
That's a good question and I'm not sure I've discovered an answer yet. I'd like to do a lot more testing because I don't think I controlled the experiment enough. I think I need to at least repeat it but perform the exact number of strokes with the 1000 grit stones. I think I may not have done enough strokes with them when I rebuilt the bevel each time which could be skewing the results. You can see in the first 1000 grit picture that I didn't do enough strokes to reach the edge, so I'll repeat and see how it turns out. I'll also need to control for age of strops and amount of paste applied.

The new scope is the Dino-Lite AM-413T5. I'm really liking it so far!
--Clay Allison
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by wickededge.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2456

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
wickededge wrote:
As far as the 'stiction' of the different strops goes, I think it might be a function of how much paste is on the surface and how much moisture it has.

That is a good one. In my experiences the leather strops usually work a little better than the balsa strops for burnishing. However, I had one case in which the balsa worked better. That might be the reason.

I tried, by the way, to increase the stiction of a leather strop by making it wet. Not the slightest effect. Next up is stropping with chewing gum on balsa :lol:.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2459

• wickededge
  • Administrator
mark76 wrote:
wickededge wrote:
As far as the 'stiction' of the different strops goes, I think it might be a function of how much paste is on the surface and how much moisture it has.

That is a good one. In my experiences the leather strops usually work a little better than the balsa strops for burnishing. However, I had one case in which the balsa worked better. That might be the reason.

I tried, by the way, to increase the stiction of a leather strop by making it wet. Not the slightest effect. Next up is stropping with chewing gum on balsa :lol:.

Totally funny. I just redid some of the tests and the role of stiction seems to be huge. I'll post more below.
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2460

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 367
Man, that is really weird why the lapping films were so slow working and hardly did anything... I can't believe it! My assumptions were totally opposite... lol, it seems as if the only way you can get a fast cutting consistant edge at sub micron levels is with the shaptons... I just don't have a grand to drop on stones right now :(

* edit: keep the test coming Clay! lol, there's gotta be another answer! I haven't given up hope!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by razoredgeknives.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2461

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Slight tangent here - polishing tapes... I decided to retest the polishing tapes, starting from a polished bevel and counting strokes, so here goes, working backwards from 1 micron polish:

7000gritafter1micronpolish.jpg

510x - 7000 grit polishing tapes after 1 micron polish - 100 passes

3000gritafter7000grit.jpg

510x - 3000 grit polishing tapes after 7000 grit tapes - 100 passes

These look better than yesterday's results but not overwhelming.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds