Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 8 months ago #6703

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I've stropped with plain leather on a belt sander... if the edge is properly created... even with this amount of power stropping, you'll see little, if any difference. My opinion is that the issue sometimes becomes confusing because edges aren't properly sharpened to begin with, the leather is then used to correct the mistakes. For example, if a burr is left on the edge, plain leather may eliminate some of this... the conclusion is then made that plain leather improves the edge. It did, but not for the reasons thought.

Anthony, your posts are great... need to get you working on the Wiki! :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AnthonyYan

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 8 months ago #6705

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I agree Anthony, great post. I would love ot have you come up with some things for the WIKI.

One thing to remember, however, this latest set of tests that Clay has been doing, was to try to capture some evidence of burnishing with strops. The primary focus, or so I interpreted it, was strops with compound. He then progressed to some other scenarios, I think to try to set some kind of baseline. If we are getting burnishing, what combination of materials will begin to cause it?

BTW, Anthony, I have read the article that you cite a few times, but don't have it in front of me. Does he mention the specific kind of leather and how it was tanned, for the sample he used?

I am curious because, though intuitively, to me, his results make perfect sense, they fly in the face of all of the straight razor users that insist that stropping on plain leather makes a significant difference in their edges.

Phil

AnthonyYan wrote:
Hi Everyone,

One must keep in mind this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, because we don't know the differences between Clay's stropping procedure and Verhoeven's. Even so, the similarity between Clay's and Verhoeven's results is reassuring to me. :)

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian

P.S. Clay, your images are great, and thanks for all the experimenting! :)
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AnthonyYan

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 8 months ago #7121

• AnthonyYan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I'd love to help with the wiki. A bit busy, but I'll find some time!
If nothing else, I would like to help with the list of "Sharpening Length Scales."

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 3 months ago #10365

• JacobWilson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
WOW! Just spent 2 hours reading through this thread. My mind is blown.

I had some thoughts/requests. I'm no expert by any means. Just learning and thinking.

I'd love to see some updated pictures of the results of Roo & Nano with the added magnification. It seemed that at 510x the steel was so smooth. I'm wondering what the abrasions look like under 2000x+ magnification and how smooth the steel really is.

I was also wondering if the backing of certain leathers produce different results. Since the regular cow strops are composed of thicker slices than the Roo, could the 'give' of the cow leather produce different sorts of abrasion or burnishing than the thinly sliced Roo on aluminum? I would think the toughness of thin Roo on aluminum backing would create a much different 'scratch' or 'smear' than cow with give. It'd be interesting to see samples of thinly sliced cow on aluminum backing up against Roo on the same. Maybe the give of the cow leather allows the inherent abrasive quality of the media to be more present, while the stiffness of Roo allows the diamonds to do most the work.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 3 months ago #10366

• KenSchwartz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Just a brief comment. It isn't that the 'roo 'slices' are thinner slices as much as that the skin itself is much thinner. No slicing is attempted - it's just a selectively thinner hide.

It also isn't that the 'roo is a tougher hide - it is thinner. This gives you less give.

It's also much smoother. This is immediately apparent when you feel them and compare the creamy smooth texture of 'roo vs cow or horse. The abrasiveness of 'roo is far finer in nature rather than tougher. The lack of give of the 'roo comes from it's extreme thinness. If it were backed with a soft backing, it would be quite supple enough to be used for convex edges, but with the Aluminum backing it is quite firm. The only thing less abrasive than the 'roo is the nanocloth, which is the absolute minimum of interference with the qualities of the applied compound, yielding a pure compound effect. The 'roo does have a draw or burnishing effect which the nanocloth doesn't. I've gotten excellent results with both nanocloth and 'roo, so you won't be disappointed with either.

---
Ken

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 3 months ago #10367

• JacobWilson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks for your response. I look forward to trying them both.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds