Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 3 months ago #2702

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 361
wickededge wrote:
After all this, I find myself wanting to do a massive cutting comparison of identical blades with different finishes! What I'd really like to do is develop a matrix that helps us to pinpoint exactly which finish is best suited for a given application both from a performance standpoint and from a durability standpoint. Another big factor is ease of maintenance. I think a lot of the fun of the Wicked Edge platform at this level is the ease with which one can experiment and contemplate the exact best geometry and finish to apply to a given knife. Lots to explore... :)

This is what I like so much about the Wicked Edge AND the community surrounding it. The WEPS is a great tool for precision sharpening, allowing for exact, fast and reproducible edge setting and maintenance. But what really does it for me is the active group of people interested in getting an edge as sharp as possible (or the best edge for a particular job), sharing their experiences, posting photographs, giving their opinions and sometimes doing experiments. It's FUN!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 3 months ago #2792

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 308
Clay, any word on when you will have the nanocloth and kangaroo leather listed on the site?

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 3 months ago #2796

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
razoredgeknives wrote:
Clay, any word on when you will have the nanocloth and kangaroo leather listed on the site?

I'll be connecting with Ken tomorrow and hopefully we can list them in the next few days.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 9 months ago #6561

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
I've finally captured a photo I've been chasing for a while. Here at 2000x we can get a nice clear view of what burnishing looks like. In the photo below, you can see how the metal on the ridges of the scratches has been moved over to fill in some of the valleys. This was done with the strops:

Burnishing.jpg
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukasPop, Billabong

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 9 months ago #6563

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Pretty cool... looks like it might be happening even more near the top of the photo.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 1 year 9 months ago #6572

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Clay,
You know that I have been at least a bit skeptical about burnishing with leather on steel...
OK, so take this from that perspective. That piece of something in the micrograph looks like it is something stuck on the blade... and at 2500X it is extremely small. For burnishing to have a major effect at the edge, would you not have to see much more of a general "smearing" or flowing of metal. It does look like there is some other evidence, but most certainly very, very minute amounts of material bridging scratches...

You may be right, but from this one photo, I am not quite convinced... that burnishing is what we are seeing.

I do try to have an open mind on these things... so convince me

:)

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds