Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions
  • Page:

TOPIC: Harbor Freight and buffing compounds

Harbor Freight and buffing compounds 1 year 3 weeks ago #13280

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Skip these compounds, they will only cause you grief.
They are ok if you're hand stropping, and the only one that's worth playing with is white, it's the finest. I'd never touch a WEPS strop with it as its not a consistent grit.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Harbor Freight and buffing compounds 1 year 2 weeks ago #13375

• gregg776
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Back about 1960, long before all information was available on the internet, I discovered Simichrome metal polish and made bench strops out of whatever leather I could find and charged them with this stuff. It was miraculous in those days producing a mirror edge after a few swipes on an Arkansas stone. I still have some of the strops I made and they still are OK for the quick and dirty fine edge. You can't beat it for the price and it works to polish all sorts of other things. Back to Harbor Freight; nothing they sell is very precise including grading and consistency of their buffing grits. What you get is a range of grit in an unknown binder. If you really want to use buffing compounds, get on the internet and find some quality materials. I've tried Harbor Freight buffing compounds on buffing wheels with poor results. If you want to charge a strop with wax based buffing compound, you can shave some of the compound off the bar and make a slurry with neatsfoot oil or put the neatsfoot oil sparingly on the leather strop and rub the buffing compound bar across the surface before all of the oil has soaked in. You can find chromium oxide for charging razor strops that some of the straight razor fans use, it is about 0.5 micron; the Simichrome is considerably more aggressive. In summary, you can't beat the diamond paste or spray for consistency, fast results, and lasting abrasive qualities. Face it, when you strop with a charged strop, you are rounding off the edge somewhat, depending on the flexibility of the strop surface and how hard you push; more stropping doesn't produce better results.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds