Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World?

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14487

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
@Jack it actually holds up quite well, the tomato test I did now was not with the knife freshly sharpened. It is almost 2 months since I sharpened it and it has been used for various kitchen duties since then.

@Mark I've got the Artifex petty in AEB-L, as you say it gets very sharp, but I'm actually a bit disappointed in it since it loses its edge quite quickly for me. My petty is at 15 degrees and sees only light kitchen use (basically vegetables and fruit) but it still dulls quickly and has actually rolled the edge in a few places for me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14490

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Mark, what sort of edge maintenance do you perform on it?
Stropping frequency, stone(& grit) frequency.

Do you have a couple of dedicated kitchen strops that you treat the edge to on a frequent basis? (Strop material, compound, and stropping frequency please).

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14491

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 420
Mike, I have a balsa strop that's loaded with 1 mu diamond compound. I use it every time before cooking.

That's sufficient. But for fun I quite often give it the Chosera 10K treatment on the WEPS :) .

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14492

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
mark76 wrote:
Mike, I have a balsa strop that's loaded with 1 mu diamond compound. I use it every time before cooking.

That's sufficient. But for fun I quite often give it the Chosera 10K treatment on the WEPS :) .

Aah that makes sense I'm sure the petty I have in AEB-L would hold up perfectly if I stropped it every time before use. But I prefer m390 in that case, it also get freakishly sharp, but it also maintains the edge quite well.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14496

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well since we're giving kitchen knife recommendations in this thread I'd just like to shower praise on the Akifusa line. I have this one which is the 240mm Gyuto, the steel is SRS-15 which is a Japanese PM steel, Rockwell is 64.

It sharpens very easily, holds an edge very well and, perhaps most importantly of all (and something we often neglect to mention) it's very thin at the edge and pretty thin for the rest of the blade too. It slices through potatoes like they aren't even there.

Extremely happy with it and would highly recommend it. I tend to sharpen about 12-13 degrees per side and it seems to hold the edge better than anything else in my kitchen.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14503

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
Johpe, I am sure that 13 deg. makes for a seriously sharp edge and I'm glad to hear it works well for you. I may attempt to put it on one of my older knives to test out. Thanks for giving me one more thing to try. This hobby never gets dull.

Jack :P

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14508

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
Now I'm thinking about getting my next kitchen knife in hap40 steel, people on other forums claim it should be unbelievably great for sharpness and edge retention. Anyone here that has any experience with it?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds