Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World?

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14417

• JohnnyG
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
According to this chef, Miyabi Knives are the sharpest knives in the world. I can't argue for or against his claim... What I found interesting is his cut test at the end of the video.

Thanks
JohnnyG

Get on the Wicked Edge Users Map
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN, LeoBarr

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14420

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
that is some BEAUTIFUL knives right there..........thanks for posting this Johnny.

I also liked the cut test at the end.........now, how many of you are going to rush home tonight and try this, or already trying it, LOL. :silly: :woohoo:

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14422

• DAUG
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Done!
I have a custom Richmond Gyuoto and Pierre Rodrique and I love keeping them as sharp as a razor and it's one of the reasons I upgraded to the WEP2 arms. The WEP1 made sharpening standard kitchen knives a dream, but when you go to harder blades I love the precision of the WEP2. Also helps to have appropriate stones and strops to keep them in tip top shape....in fact better than factory sharpness!
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by DAUG.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14423

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
DAUG wrote:
Done!
I have a custom Richmond Gyuoto and Pierre Rodrique and I love keeping them as sharp as a razor and it's one of the reasons I upgraded to the WEP2 arms. The WEP1 made sharpening standard kitchen knives a dream, but when you go to harder blades I love the precision of the WEP2. Also helps to have appropriate stones and strops to keep them in tip top shape....in fact better than factory sharpness!

Pictures! Pictures! :silly:

The Rodrique is as nice a knife as I have ever seen! Love to hear a little more about your Richmond too!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14440

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Well, this is nice, but how well do they hold an edge? They obviously come sharp out of the box.
But very pretty.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 2 weeks ago #14441

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I have a miyabi and like it alot, it holds a sharp edge well. However it does not get any sharper nor hold an edge any longer than my Shun knives. It's all about your preference in brand. 16 deg. makes for a very sharp cutting edge on any of the Japanese brands, my Yoshihiro damascus is very sharp also. B)

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14456

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
Some of the knives in the video seems to be from the 7000MC line.

The steel would then be what Henckels calls MC66 which should be an alias for the Hitachi ZDP-189 PM steel. MC stands for Micro Carbide and 66 is the target hardness on the Rockwell scale.

I have no hands on experience with the Miyabi knives but I definitely do like ZDP-189 so I guess that steel in kitchen knives wold work very well.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14482

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
Btw, just tested the tomato on cutboard shaving from the video with my Artifex in m390 at 13 degrees per side... No problem at all, I could basically push cut paper thin slices without holding the tomato.

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14483

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
13 deg. Yikes, now I wonder if you can hold the edge after each use. I guess if you are only cutting tomatoes it should be ok, watch out for bones if you cut meat (chicken etc.) :ohmy:

Miyabi Knives - Sharpest Knives in the World? 11 months 1 week ago #14486

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 411
Cool! I've got an Artifex too. Not in M390, but in AEB-L. My favourite steel. It's not the most wear-resistant, but it takes an insane edge...

I sharpen it at 14 degrees. And I use it daily, so I can say it withstands a lot of use.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds