Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Knife Photos

TOPIC: My Other Knives II

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 7 months ago #1963

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
Glad to help Mark. It's OK about the A1 picture...I know the Fallkniven stuff off by heart. I am an old fan of the Swedish company...I have a TK-2 and a PXL folder.

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 7 months ago #2007

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
leomitch wrote:
The Gunny is full convex ground and is of A2 tool steel which is an excellent steel in every way. I have used it to cut chicken joints by the way and it does so well...and butterflies chicken breasts nicely. The cutting edge of the blade is almost 4 inches and come out nicely using the WEPS. I have put a 16.5 degree per side edge on mine as I prefer that to the very thin, almost 0 edge from the factory. It does everything well, but is not the greatest slicer.

Leo, what causes the Gunny not to be a great slicer? The reason I am looking for a thinner blade is mainly that I also want to use it for food prep...

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 7 months ago #2009

• leomitch
  • Administrator
The blade on the Gunny is not a great slicer because it is not flat ground. Also it is a little too thick to be a great slicer. Remember, this knife is derived from the Bravo1 which was developed as a survival knife for the Marine recon guys,so in effect the Gunny has those attributes. Having said all that, it is not bad at kitchen tasks but chunks of carrots go flying when cut with a Gunny if you are not careful. It is however a very useful knife in every other way when it comes to camping and hunting chores. It can also be useful around the kitchen and the rest of the house and yard.
Now the Le Trappeur is a fine slicer because it has a thin, flat ground blade as do most French knives, but then you want a nice small fixed blade.

Leo ;)
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 5 months ago #2818

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
Hi Leo,

It has become a knife whose maker I did not know until recently: Arno Bernard, from South Africa.

I saw this knife at a show in Germany and just had to get it. The knife is made from 12C27 steel; this stuff seems to chase me :) .

The handle is made from warthog tusk (had to look that up in the dictionary). It also came with a beautiful sheath made of cape buffalo.

Now I know that in my house beautiful knives don't always become users. So still 50% chance I'll get the ESEE-3 or a small Becker before summer begins :).

Mark
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by mark76.

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 5 months ago #2822

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 691
That is a beautiful knife, congrats! Nice photos too.
--Clay Allison

Re: My Other Knives II 2 years 2 months ago #4124

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Hi Mark
somehow I missed seeing this knife when you first posted the pictures...Wow! What a beauty my friend. I would love to have such a blade in my collection. Lucky you! :cheer:

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds