Username: Password: Remember me
Knife Photos
  • Page:

TOPIC: One of my first edges on the WE.

Re:One of my first edges on the WE. 7 months 1 week ago #16157

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
I'll try to get some photos and info on the Celestron together, then will reply. Stand by.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:One of my first edges on the WE. 7 months 1 week ago #16158

Excellent thanks

Re:One of my first edges on the WE. 7 months 1 week ago #16175

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
So! Celestron! I have the cheap little version they call the Handheld Digital Microscope Pro, Model Mo. 44308 I paid $108 to Amazon in Dec, but now they're down to $76.

I hoped that the 5MP would let me see edges clearer, but your images look every bit as good.

Here's a link to the pdf of the instruction manual:
www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?...aditemid=552&nav=0,1

The major improvements lie mostly in the software, which is a major upgrade, but has a number of shortcomings. My favorite feature is that it has a fixed magnification - 10X according to the manual. Of course current display monitors put the magnification up in the 180X range. The image area is about 2.5mm wide. Resolution ranges from 1280X960 (1.3MP) to 2592X1944 (5.0MP) which is about 1 pixel per micron.

I've had trouble getting 5MP photos in the handheld mode, so something seems to be taking extra time. Celestron claims it's a true 5MP sensor, but it acts more like interlacing.

For a given focus setting, you can do a quick calibration, after which you can measure features (distances, angles, radii) on the photos you capture. The thumbwheel on the housing is to adjust focus. If you look into the camera lens area, you'll see that it moves axially with the thumbwheel. Since changing the focus moves the camera's distance to the object being viewed, it would change the magnification and invalidate the calibration.

Each photo or video you capture is held on the current strip of image captures. If you close the session, you can't necessarily reopen previous captures, except in other image or video viewers.

Here's a photo of a cross-section of a scalpel I was measuring:
scalpelendviewcropped.jpg

Here's a cropped portion of a 5MP photo of an edge taken from a fixed stand
5MPcropped.jpg

Here's a video I just took of a Delica 4 edge that's showing just a little wear: I don't think this is going to work... It's 17 MB, about 35 secs long. But it shows how you can slide along an edge, looking for defects. Crossing my fingers...

Re:One of my first edges on the WE. 7 months 1 week ago #16179

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
Sorry, but the video didn't upload, which explains why the other gents use Youtube.

Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by tcmeyer. Reason: Additional info

Re:One of my first edges on the WE. 7 months 1 week ago #16205

that is great.... Thank you very much.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds