Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Knife Photos

TOPIC: Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15074

bump!

newb here. the edge on the shuffle looks beautiful. i attempted to sharpen my shuffle tonight after seeing your photos, but wasnt confident on the ruler setting.

was curious what ruler setting you used. apologies if it was already mentioned.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15079

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 420
Give it a try at 20/20

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15087

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for where along the ruler did the tip of the blade go - A, B, C etc etc. Apologies for the confusion! ;)

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15089

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
narcoleptic wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for where along the ruler did the tip of the blade go - A, B, C etc etc. Apologies for the confusion! ;)

Hi and welcome! I think your going to find the lions share of the knives will set around "A-A.5". Read this

208.97.177.221/index.php?option=com_cont...&catid=38&Itemid=258

And start at A and you should be good to go. In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15090

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
EamonMcGowan wrote:
In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:

I tried putting a knife in my eyeball... Hurt like heck! I must be doing it wrong ;)

Ken
玉鋼

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15091

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
KenBuzbee wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:
In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:

I tried putting a knife in my eyeball... Hurt like heck! I must be doing it wrong ;)

Ken

Just like shooting you have to keep both eyes open. You probably flinched and closed one eye? :whistle:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15092

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
EamonMcGowan wrote:

Just like shooting you have to keep both eyes open. You probably flinched and closed one eye? :whistle:

You're probably right but now that I'm down to one I'm kinda leary about trying it again. I might just stick to measuring ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by KenBuzbee.

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15104

Thanks for the info folks! I tried lining up the tip of the knife to A but the stones were only hitting the edge of the tip. I moved it as far forward as I could and ended up sharpening at 18 degrees to somewhat match the stock bevel.

Still cant achieve hair whittling sharp, but overall I'm very happy with the results. Phonebook papers beware!

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15106

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
I would suggest that you use a loupe so you can see that you are getting right to the edge this is the only reason why I suspect that you are not getting exceptionally sharp edges unless you are stropping the edge away ; Clay suggests dropping down 2Ëš when stropping otherwise the give in the strop can curve over the edge and take that edge away - as the blade goes down the strop the top of the bevel compresses the strop whilst the rest of the strop having past the top of the bevel springs back up increasing the angle which then removes the fine edge .

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 9 months 1 week ago #15150

Thanks Leo! I actually do have a loupe and check the edges before I change stones.

The knives are definitely sharp. Very happy with the edges I get with them. Was able to sharpen an extremely dull kitchen knife to curl phone book paper. ;)

I'm hoping I cant get the hair whittling sharpness because I'm still working on my technique, stones havent been fully broken in (I think I've only done 10 knives), and I havent tried playing with the strops yet. :D
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds