Knife Photos

TOPIC: Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13728

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
JackMontrose wrote:
I will, maybe tomorrow :unsure: I have been having alot of fun just getting my knives very very sharp. I have been a little intimidated with stropping though. Just don't want to ruin them first time out, however I think I'm ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the incuragement, I guess its about that time. :)

Okay if I may? Stropping #101 It was explained to me on this forum to do these things.
(Clays advise) If you are using a 20* angle to sharpen turn it down 2 degrees to 18*. (Curtis says same angle or increase slightly) Start at the heel of your knife and with light to medium pressure, use a edge trailing motion and work up to tip of knife. Repeat say for 20 to 30 alternating strokes?. Clean off blade with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol. Then repeat this step with the next strop if you want a finer edge?
The real thing here is you really can't wreck your knife. The worst thing is you might dull it by rolling the edge, but on the WE it is really hard to do! The really great part of the We is you can switch and match? There is no wrong just experiment?
If you do roll your edge? Just go back to the last stone you used and setting to sharpen and clean it up. Your on your way again! Have fun!! :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13730

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks for the lesson Eamon. My problem is that most of the kitchen knives I've been sharpening are at 16 deg. (Shun), I cannot go to 14 deg. without hitting the vise with the strops. I will get out one of my edc's that I did at 20 deg. and go for it. I'll let you know how they come out ;)

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13733

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
JackMontrose wrote:
Thanks for the lesson Eamon. My problem is that most of the kitchen knives I've been sharpening are at 16 deg. (Shun), I cannot go to 14 deg. without hitting the vise with the strops. I will get out one of my edc's that I did at 20 deg. and go for it. I'll let you know how they come out ;)

Sorry my apology I did not mean to come off like a teacher? I guess the 101 would have done that? I am very sorry! Yes you do have a problem with the Shun's. I am however very interested on how your edc's goes?
Hope you have a blast! Good luck!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13734

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
Eamon, no apology necessary, I will take all the help I can get. I read your instructions in the intent you ment them to be; help to a newbe.

Thank you very much. B)

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13769

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
I broke out the strops today :ohmy:
This was a knife I had already sharpened so, I hit it with the 800 and 1,000 diamonds, then ceramics prior to stropping.
I stropped with 5 then 3.5 micron then 1 and .5 micron. The results weren't spectacular but not bad for the first time;

h46d9b37.jpg

hf9f79e4.jpg

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13771

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
It looks great! How does it cut and what did you decide to do about the angle? Is that stock or did you reprofile?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackMontrose

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 1 month ago #13773

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
I did reprofile the first time on the wicked edge (SOG) comes with a strange angle. I set it at 20 deg per side for stones then 18 deg for strops. It is very sharp, I don't know if it got any sharper by stropping but it shines a lot more. I think I'll get better with time but, I'm very satisfied for my first attempt. I am really enjoying the wicked edge (makes me smile every time I use it). ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 4 weeks ago #13804

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
JackMontrose wrote:
Thanks Darell, I have the same PP2 but, it's only a week old so the stones are still pretty agressive. I have been spending a little more time with the 800 - 1000 diamons and the ceramics, but my finish is not as good as yours yet. I haven't gotten to the strops yet; still getting used to the system (done 12 knives so far). They are extreamly sharp (wich is what I care most about) however, I want to get to the pretty stage soon, just for the fun of it. :)

Jack

yep, know exactly where your coming from Jack..........mine is actually not that old yet either, maybe 4 or 5 months now and I have done probably 25 or 30 knives maybe ? One thing I can tell you that is that if you don't change ( i.e., lower ) your angle before going to the strops, you will round the nice, sharp edge over a tad. I think Clay and others have suggested dropping back 2 degrees ( like from 20 down to 18 ) for stropping, to avoid rounding the edge over as bad ? Also, if you don't have the Balsa strops yet, I would suggest thinking of getting some...........I absolutely LOVE the way they feel over the leather by far ! I also added a set of the Super Fine 1200 / 1600 ceramics which helps polish that edge.....at least for me anyways.
As Eamon said, just have fun, that's what it's all about. :woohoo:

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 4 weeks ago #13806

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
that edge looks great Jack, nice and even, and looks Wicked sharp ! B)

One thing I do on mine to help polish the edges ( this may be right or wrong ) is when I get to the Super Fine 1200 / 1600 ceramics and the Micro Fine Ceramics, I tend to use a quick up and down scrubbing motion along each side of the blade to help polish it up quickly, before I switch over to the heel to tip alternating strokes per side.........hope that helps ? :unsure:

Kershaw Shuffle 3800 1 year 4 weeks ago #13808

• JackMontrose
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Darrell, I did drop back from 20 deg. to 18 to strop then went back to 20 deg. and hit it two strokes with the 1000 diamonds. It came out very, very sharp. I have now completed 22 knives and the diamond stones are showing signs of breaking in (better finish). I still use the ceramics but for just getting a sharp edge its almost not necessary. I will take your suggestion and get some balsa strops, I need to order the 50 - 80 diamonds anyway (it just takes to long to re-profile with the 100 diamond stones). Call me crazy but, I'm just having too much fun sharpening knives, the wicked edge is the bomb.... ;)

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds