Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting Started

Re: Getting Started 1 year 9 months ago #7865

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Clay produced a video where he held the razor by the tang only. Then rotated the rod holders 90*. Not sure this works with the upgraded arms.
There's a video here if you scroll down a bit.

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...ldforums=1&Itemid=63
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Getting Started 1 year 9 months ago #7870

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Mikedoh wrote:
Clay produced a video where he held the razor by the tang only. Then rotated the rod holders 90*. Not sure this works with the upgraded arms.

wickededge wrote:
Have you looked at doing this with the new upgraded arms rotated forward? I think it works really well but would love your feedback.

Great video! It shows that razors can, indeed, be sharpened using the WEPS. Given the geometry lesson we got from Anthony, I'm not sure the arms even need to be rotated forward. Maybe they do, I'd have to try it, but he showed the angle doesn't vary as you go forward, so the only reason you'd need to would be to get a lower angle than you'd get from the upright position.

Regardless of the 'can you do it?' question, there's the 'should you do it?' question. As Clay shows (and says) in the video, the angle is set by the spine. Consistently getting the right angle is the least challenging step of sharpening a razor (and one of the most challenging steps of sharpening a knife ;) ) Where the WEPS adds great value to the consistency of sharpening a knife, all it adds (IMO) to sharpening a razor is additional setup steps not required by using a simple stone. Are they onerous or tedious? No, not at all. But I don't see the value.

Now if all you have is a WEPS. You have all the necessary fine grits, strops etc and you worry you may rock the blade side to side on such a narrow stone (because, yes, you can just use your WEPS stones freehand for a razor). I'd say 'go for it'. But it will take longer and add no value if you have a few full sized bench stones laying around (pretty much sitting around unused, now that you are using your WEPS for all your knives ;) )

I guess, in the end, it's just what you have to work with and what you feel comfortable with. I know freehand sharpeners who feel the same way about using the WEPS for knives. Why would they do all that setup when they get perfectly fine edges just using bench stones?

For me, I LOVE it for knives, but I don't feel the need to use it on razors.

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

Re: Getting Started 1 year 9 months ago #7871

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks Ken
That's exactly it, I don't have any full sized stones except at the very low, and very high grits.

If I decided that shaving with a straight razor was worth the effort for me, then I'd likely buy some stones.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Mikedoh.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds