Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Edge angle and finish?

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 1 week ago #16242

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 209
Sounds good to me! I will be Leo as usual and you will be Leo Nav...the Navigator! Like Vasco da Gama.

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 1 week ago #16243

• GibCurry
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Gib
  • Thank you received: 117
leomitch wrote:
Geocyclist wrote:
Leo (Mitch)

This is clear. Just remember the whole process after the main bevel takes little time with softly caressing strokes of the paddles. LOL! Make love to your blade so to speak.

Leo

Make love; not swarf.
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 1 week ago #16245

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Indeed Gib! A new saying to go viral...Make love not swarf!! LOL!

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 1 week ago #16246

• leomitch
  • Administrator
EamonMcGowan wrote:
leomitch wrote:
Actually my friends call me Mitch so maybe that would be best for ending any Leo confusion. I am the eldest too at nearly 79. I think Leo Barr is rather younger. So perhaps I will sign myself off as Mitch from now on.

best regards
Mitch

Funny how you picture someone in your head? By your style and different chats we have had on the forum? I always figured you for 35-40 years old. You have a very young style Mr Mitch :woohoo:

Eamon, I would wager that you would be further surprised to find out that I am a mere 5 foot 5 inches tall in the morning on a good day, I have a white beard, I have been mostly inactive for the past 5 years due to my health so I am way heavy and look kind of like a Greek Santa Clause...I am of Greek descent...Leonidas Mihelakos at your service. I used to be able to lift double my body weight in the clean and jerk when I weighed 119 pounds many years ago, but now I couldn't roll it across the floor.
I am lucky now that I have a forest across the street from my new house, so my 11 year old grandson and I can get out and do things providing we move slowly and I don't try to rush. There I can teach him how to make fuzz sticks and how to build a fire using a fire stick of magnesium and a striker with a bit of fluff from our dryer as super kindling and how to use a compass for map reading. He is now learning how to use the WEPS so he can look after the knives he will inherit from me. His favourite knife is a Bark River Gunny and the knife that scares him most is my Fairbairn-Sykes custom made commando fighter...it looks just like what it was designed to do and he is a gentle boy.
Funny eh, the way we think people will look seldom matches the truth of the matter.Read my short biography on the welcome column for maybe a clearer picture.

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 6 days ago #16248

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
When I was little, I had my own way of making fire using "flint" and steel. My brother, 5 years older than me, was able to catch a spark on char cloth, from striking a piece of flint against a piece of an old file. Me, I only got battered fingers from striking them with the flint. No sparks were produced, only howls.

My neighbor was a smoker, and would sometimes send over his old, unwanted lighters for us kids to play with. We didn't have any fluid though. I would remove the wick, place a piece of char cloth in the wind guard and give the spark wheel some mighty turns.

Drier lint works well for capturing sparks so long as your lint was from a load of cotton clothes and not synthetic fabrics.

Mike

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 6 days ago #16249

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Ouch! Your poor fingers!
You are correct about the dryer fluff Mike. I wear only cotton track pants and tee-shirts so when I do my laundry I collect enough to use. I have a big ball in reserve. Works very nicely. We also did some experimenting using super fine steel wool to help catch sparks and accelerate the fire especially when windy.
We did some crazy fire starting experiments using potassium permanganate with a little glycerin and a few drops of water. We also added a strip of magnesium ribbon. Starts a fire like crazy, wind, no wind, the reaction doesn't care, it burns fiercely. Fun and he learned some cautious exothermic chemistry at the same time. We are doing home schooling so I have to keep a high interest level. Luckily he is brilliant...like his Granpa!! ROTFLMAO!

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Edge angle and finish? 7 months 6 days ago #16250

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Leo,
What a great description and no my minds eye saw a completely different guy. We do have a couple items in conman. First of you would see me as a youngster, I turn 57 in June. My descent is Irish, my parents were from the old country. I am Eamon Seamus Joseph Mc Gowan at your service.
I used to be a shade off 6' now I'm just about 5'10" and always ran about 180 lbs. My health is bad and now 286 lbs. I used to work out 4 hours a day and did 600 sit ups everyday! Now with my big belly 3 would be amazing! I sit in my easy chair all day long. I live on a gun so there is the random walk over and try a new load or something? Oh and last year I grew my annual beard and it is snow white now and adds 10-15 years so I shaved it.
Your grandson sound like a great young man and he is very lucky to have a grandpa that is teaching him things that seem to be lost today? So much today is video games that the young are barely learning to ride a bicycle. A lucky young man indeed!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds