Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16398

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
leomitch wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:
leomitch wrote:
Just to be different, here are some everyday carry knives that would be useful in completely different situations, like Afghanistan! ROTFLMAO! Sorry, old Leo is in a weird mood this morning.

Nonetheless, pretty nice knives eh!

Cheers
Silly Leo

The top three knives are GO TO JAIL here in California. But this conversion leads to anther converstion where I start chewing on my tongue. :evil:

Why chew on your tongue mate? Say your piece Eamon, especially if it as as thought provoking as all your fine posts. ;)

Cheers
Leo

Leo,
You give me far to much credit for my ramblings! However thank you! The chewing of my tongue is in my strong support of peoples's right to protect themselves and how California undermines that? Now I probably have said to much already and I will let it go at that. After all this is a knife sharpening forum.
Thank you for indulging me, Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16399

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
Pas de probleme mon ami! I too have a problem with laws that say I can't defend myself. We can defend ourselves up here to a certain extent, but may not carry for that purpose (either knife or gun...or golf club etc. ) But then they also qualify it by saying...you may, but only using necessary force. Poor me! I can't muster the necessary force anymore without resorting to a weapon.
But here we are away from knife sharpening and not in the Off Topic section! Bad Mod!

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16400

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Leo,

You are a bad bad mod! :P

Your pal,

Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16421

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Leo,

You are a bad bad mod! :P

Your pal,

Eamon

This quite true, I am! :evil:

Best to you mate
Leo :lol:
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16426

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
_MG_8323.jpg

Since I am moving to England in a month or so I had to retire my Rockstead Chou as my EDC & this is my new EDC.
Knife is made by Takeda in a Higo style out of AS steel 61-63 Rockwell .
Overall length 176mm length closed 110mm blade length 67.6mm height 19.2mm Spine above heel 2.55mm at tip0.6mm.
It is a Scandi grind although I may put a micro convex bevel on it when I sharpen it .
_MG_8342.jpg

_MG_8347.jpg

_MG_8355.jpg

_MG_8356.jpg

Leo Nav
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by LeoBarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, mark76

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16427

• knifenut 2000
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Is that a Hinderer design?

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16428

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 379
That's very cool, Leo! I didn't know Soshui makes folding knives as well. They look like his other knives: basic, but very high quality. It's a real coincidence that I've just been emailing with him :cheer: .
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by mark76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16431

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
So far as I know it is based on Higonokami style knives from the 1890s . This particular knife is not absolutely as original in style and has a greater level of finish the hinge on the traditional ones is a pin domed on one end and the other flattened off this has a more modern alternative.
It is possible that Hinderer took some inspiration from these knives that are seeing a renaissance due to the West's interest in Japanese blades(mine included).
The blades are typically laminated .

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16433

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 188
Leo: If you're the gent you seem to be, Mallorca will be a lesser place with your absence. I always wanted to spend some time in the UK, but by the time the opportunity arose, I was the boss and had to send someone else. He advised me that the reason Brits drank warm beer was that they had Lucas refrigerators. And they had kippers on their eggs for breakfast. I think I'd still like to go, but travel is out of the picture now. I know the Brits speak a language similar to our own.

Did you have to change your EDC knife because of UK laws? If so, what was it? Is this move a permanent thing?

Lastly, does the Takeda's secondary bevel go all the way to the edge as it appears? Looks like you just shaved your arm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Favorite/favored carry knife/knives 5 months 2 weeks ago #16434

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I have to move back to the UK my son is near school leaving age and there simple are not many job opportunities for him except for working on yachts which does not appeal to him; so the move to the UK is permanent still have a lot of family around London although I will be in the next biggest city that been Manchester.
By the sounds of it UK has tightened up their knife carrying laws I thought the Rockstead would be fine but even though the blade is little more than two inches long it is a fixed blade therefore verboten so higo style knives are okay blade less than 3 inches and not locking (my Lagouiles are too long unfortunately ) so now most of my knives will have to stay in the house(for my appreciation) I have 3 higos in total two traditional ones and the one pictured so three usable EDCs (having been a yachtsman most of my life I am used to carrying a knife I would say that a knife is obligatory on deck).
As to your questions yes I did swipe off some arm hair which I forgot to wipe off . The knife is Scandi ground (similar to a Mora)around 10/11 dps . I will see how the edge works if I find it chips I will put a convex bevel on it it is beautifully thin.
I always pinch just above the bevel to gauge the shape of the knife if I can feel a shoulder or it feels too fat I thin it since this is virtually as important as the bevel ; the first thing that struck me about this knife was how thin it is similar to my Honyaki Nakira .
The pinching above the bevel really helps me when gauging whether I need to thin or not I would recommend this to anyone once you know how a good slim profile feels and therefore cuts it is a really quick method no eyes needed.

Leo Nav
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by LeoBarr.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds