Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: German Steels

German Steels 4 months 1 week ago #17462

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
That sound like it should be a great edge mikerci
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikemci

German Steels 3 months 4 weeks ago #17555

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
An update on my Wusthof's. One year later I find these are the minimum workable settings.

I have one 10" slicer at 17.5 dps I use only a few times a year for slicing turkeys. It works well and holds up since it gets little use and I am careful not to hit bones.

I set my paring knives to 20 dps. They are used daily and used on a cutting board, but not used for chopping. 20 dps seems to work OK.

For my chopping knives, chef knife and santoku I initially used 20 dps, but have changed to 22.5 to get better edge retention.

With these settings I get decent life from the edge and can touch up without having to completely resharpen. I.e. I can touch up with 800 or 1000 diamonds, then ceramics and done. I loved how the santoku sliced/chopped at 20 dps, but it didn't take much like an off center hit on the board to roll the edge.

For me these knives are very nice tools, but all I want a sharp, long lasting edge. I don't care about looks. So I don't spend hours chasing the perfect mirror finish like I do on pocket knives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikemci
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds