Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: repair options and thoughts

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12631

• BluntCut
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Good clean work Tuffy.

I am with Curtis & Josh on edge profile & geometry - 'return' should be on a straight line from heel-edge. Let's look at your repaired edge from a cutting perspective:

1. Push down (aka push cut) - not all materials are completely cut under the recurve edge. because of the gap between the edge & cutting board.

2. Pull back (pull cut) - fine.

3. push forth - same as 1.

4. rock & chop - same as 1.

and perhaps note that the chip is probably the most-used area for this user, so a recurve there might negatively affect the knife performance.

A handful of salt goes well with MHO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12632

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Max, how did you grind out the damage ?

It looks pretty good considering what you started with.........is it just my old eyesight
playing tricks on me, or is the belly of the blade ( directly under the name ) blued ?

If so, then it probably got too hot when grinding ( did you quench it in cold water often while grinding ), and if it did get too hot to the point of bluing the steel, then the temper of the steel is probably ruined and I doubt it will hold a good edge for very long / be durable, etc. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12635

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
BluntCut wrote:
Good clean work Tuffy.

I am with Curtis & Josh on edge profile & geometry - 'return' should be on a straight line from heel-edge. Let's look at your repaired edge from a cutting perspective:

1. Push down (aka push cut) - not all materials are completely cut under the recurve edge. because of the gap between the edge & cutting board.

2. Pull back (pull cut) - fine.

3. push forth - same as 1.

4. rock & chop - same as 1.

and perhaps note that the chip is probably the most-used area for this user, so a recurve there might negatively affect the knife performance.

Pretty much sums it up.

Looks like a great edge though.

If you get any feedback from the customer... would be interesting.

I'm not seeing any heat damage that Darrell wrote, but am also curious how you repaired it?

Thanks for posting the after pics and followup, I learn lots from these.

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12636

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
DARRELLALLEN wrote:
Max, how did you grind out the damage ?

It looks pretty good considering what you started with.........is it just my old eyesight
playing tricks on me, or is the belly of the blade ( directly under the name ) blued ?

If so, then it probably got too hot when grinding ( did you quench it in cold water often while grinding ), and if it did get too hot to the point of bluing the steel, then the temper of the steel is probably ruined and I doubt it will hold a good edge for very long / be durable, etc. :unsure:
just your eyesight is correct.

HF 1x30 belt grinder
<"))))><(

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12637

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
cbwx34 wrote:
BluntCut wrote:
Good clean work Tuffy.

If you get any feedback from the customer... would be interesting.

I'm not seeing any heat damage that Darrell wrote, but am also curious how you repaired it?

Thanks for posting the after pics and followup, I learn lots from these.
will have to wait a week - weather very very bad - can not even load gear into truck - fare called it off for today.

i will surely ask her to use and comment back to me regarding it.
<"))))><(

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12638

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Max what a great job! Most people would have wrote that knife. It is not brand new, but what she had and what she is getting is pretty darn reasonable. ;)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevanHopkins

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12639

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I think it will depend on how much of an expert the owner is... and how picky they are. This is sort of what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.

The knife should be ok, for a non-purist but I would expect it to not be anywhere close to as durable in the areas where it was over heated.

Leaning in to a blade on a belt grinder without frequent water quench is not what one wants to do!
Even with quenching local loss of temper is likely. I think that the only way to remove that much material without over heating it, is with a new sharp belt and lots of patience.

I would love to hear what their reaction is too!

I suppose that anyone that uses a knife blade for pulling nails...or whatever they did to cause that chunk to go missing, is not likely a knife nut nor culinary expert. In which case, they will probably be happy to have it back without the chunk missing and actually sharp.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12640

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
I think what Tuffy is saying, is that the knife is not blued, it is Darrell's eyesight that is "off", i.e. the knife was not over heated.

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12641

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
Firstly I should add re profiling especially in that area is a lot of work especially on a knife were the bolster drops to the heel, It is best to keep away from the dropped bolster at least by a good half inch as this type of knife wears the point dips down since the distance from heel edge to spin remains the same. So the perfect repair to a chip in the vulnerable area entails removing almost half an inch of blade to maintain a good profile : then the blade will have to have a thinning bevel which will need to be quite wide so as to maintain a balanced bevel from heel to tip - no mean feet especially on good steel.
The dreaded hollow is often a result often of overzealous steel work since most people start in this vulnerable area.
This area should not be over sharpened in fact it is often best not to bring it to a complete burr . Avoidance is far better than cure I await my WE and currently use an EP I always start my sharpening at the pointed end and work back towards the heel it is more avoidable on an open heeled knife like a Victorinox or a Japanese knife but the hollow except for joint carving knives is the enemy second to a blunt blade . So it is vital to keep an eye out for hollows laying the edge on glass a rolling the edge to look for hollows helps to spot them.

h1d3c7c1.png

repair options and thoughts 1 year 1 month ago #12642

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
You read a bunch into those few words. Indeed I may have misinterpreted, there was not much oto go on. I hope so.
Ruining the temper on a blade is a high cost for a repair job! Whether Tuffy did or did not, the possibility is still worth noting and avoiding!

Mikedoh wrote:
I think what Tuffy is saying, is that the knife is not blued, it is Darrell's eyesight that is "off", i.e. the knife was not over heated.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by PhilipPasteur.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds