Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best knife lube for pivot and washers?

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9151

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Tom, Others,

Anyone that uses grease, how do you apply it? How can you get it on the pivot without disassembly?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9157

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I've tried a number of lubes, but I seem to always go back to dry teflon/graphite lubes. I fiddle with my knives enough I don't have to worry about rust, except on a very small number.
Anyone have a reason to avoid the dry lubes?
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9159

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Other than the fact that they don't really penetrate much, I can't see a reason to avoid them,. Especially if you have the knife disassembled. If you don't, I can't see how the dry lubes would ever get to the places that need them.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9183

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I dunno.
The few knives I've bothered to fully disassemble that I use the dry lube on, always have it in every crevice.
My point, it's cheap, and worth a try. Not food safe though. Assuming thats an issue.....
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9185

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Just my 2 cents: Food safe is not a concern for the pivot. (I am OCD paranoid about getting anything other than lint in the pivot). When I do care about food safety I have Mineral Oil USP to wipe on the blade. I don't use it on the pivot. This is supposed to be food safe and won't spoil. (like canola, olive, etc.). Even then I only use on M4 and 1095 for rust prevention.

Re: Best knife lube for pivot and washers? 1 year 5 months ago #9193

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 348
PhilipPasteur wrote:
mark76 wrote:
Yup. I use nano-oil too. Despite its name it's not an oil.
The alternative is to use something that repels moisture, like WD-40. That works, too, but I've found that nano-oil lubricates better.

Just curious Mark... if not an oil, what is it? It looks like oil, acts like oil...and smells like oil...
You know the one about the Duck right...If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... well it probably is a Duck..
:)

You're completely right. It's a mineral oil with additives. What I meant is that the pivot remains smooth for a long time, much longer than I'd expect for a pure oil that "wears out". (My comparison here is Ballistol, which IMHO is great for rust prevention, but less for lubrication.)

In case anyone is interested, here is a long thread on nano-oil at the Spyderco forums.

And, like Curtis, I only use oil on a pivot when I feel it is necessary. The majority of my folders are still without any lubricant at all.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by mark76.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds