Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pitting on a Blade - is this a bad idea?

Pitting on a Blade - is this a bad idea? 1 year 7 months ago #7446

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
First I apologize if this isn't in the right forum, but it really only 'fit' here.
While lurking on a sword board, guys were complaining about relatively deep rust pits in swords/knives.
The only real solution is sand them out, and that removes potentially lots of metal.
And during a bout of insomnia...an idea came up.

If you were working with wood, you could find a close match and fill the hole with glue/sawdust to hide a ding/hole.

So if you use low temperature solder, do you think this would work? Most solder to be 'low temp' is between 50-180C. So at the real low temperature end, do you think this may work and you could hide the pits by filling them with solder?
I don't know enough about the fine points in tempering, so this may just screw up the temper.

Plus, from a visual standpoint, you'd end up with mismatched dots of different silver.
I am sorely tempted to try this, just for kicks on a crusty blade in my garage.

But I'd love to hear any advice from the group. Hell, I may have come up with something brand new...nah.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Pitting on a Blade - is this a bad idea? 1 year 7 months ago #7452

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
I think you'd be better off using an epoxy style coating similar to the kind of thing ESEE and Busse do.

Ken
玉鋼
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds