Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Renaissance in Writing!

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7150

• WayneReimer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Leo,

I fell in love with fountain pens during my university days, and never fell out of love for them. To be truthful, I am not even sure how many I have at this point...

I'm now retired, but when still employed I think I was viewed by many as a throwback since I would never use a ballpoint unless all other options were exhausted ( I used to keep from 4 to 6 pens, ink, some nibs, etc. in my desk at all times). Even now, years after I have any real need to even carry a pen, I seldom leave the house without one in my pocket.

I own exactly one ball point pen...a Fisher space pen in my maxpedition bag that I haul my camera equipment in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7156

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
WayneReimer wrote:
Leo,

I fell in love with fountain pens during my university days, and never fell out of love for them. To be truthful, I am not even sure how many I have at this point...

I'm now retired, but when still employed I think I was viewed by many as a throwback since I would never use a ballpoint unless all other options were exhausted ( I used to keep from 4 to 6 pens, ink, some nibs, etc. in my desk at all times). Even now, years after I have any real need to even carry a pen, I seldom leave the house without one in my pocket.

I own exactly one ball point pen...a Fisher space pen in my maxpedition bag that I haul my camera equipment in.

Hi Wayne
I was very much into fountain pens when I was teaching middle school(grades 7&8) I did all my marking and commenting with my pen (never in red ink) and wrote poetry either with my Osmiroid calligraphy pen or my fancy sterling silver Schaffer. Then again as an administrator I used fountain pen for nearly everything except when I had to make several copies through one master. Then I retired and stopped for nearly 14 years until August last and now I am back full bore and happy about it.
Like you I have several if not all 17 of my pens inked at any given time and I try to use a different one whenever possible. I always carry one with me when I go out, probably My Monteverde Stainless Steel pen or my Lamy AL.
It is good to find yet another fountain pen geek besides myself. Great talking with you my friend.

Best regards
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7218

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Whooohooo! I won another pen on e bay's auction. It is a green Aurorloide from Aurora sister to my blue one. Here are my four Aurora pens. The new one is second from the bottom. Now all I need is the burgundy model and I will have all three being produced in that design! What a magnificent obsession.

Cheers
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7219

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Congrats!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7226

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Those are some beautiful instruments! I got into making my own pens but my handwriting has always been so atrocious I never use them for more than mundane everyday writing needs. It's kind of a zen thing for me to smell and feel the wood or whatever material I happen to be using on that current pen take shape. But as someone who knows what goes into a finely crafted writing instrument, I can definitely appreciate what you have there and understand how an emotional bond can develop. I often have a hard time seeing some of my own creations go into anothers possession. I imagine it's much the same once you "get to know" that pen after using it to put your life into black and white, which is admirable in it's own right. Thank you for sharing!
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7228

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Thank you very much Gary!
I have a friend Duncan Suss who also crafts his own pens. He is making one for me as we speak from Honduran Rosewood Burl. It will match the pencil he made me

I would love to see some of your work mate. Why don't you post some for us all to enjoy.
A pleasure to meet you Gary.

Warm regards
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7296

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
leomitch wrote:
Thank you very much Gary!
I have a friend Duncan Suss who also crafts his own pens. He is making one for me as we speak from Honduran Rosewood Burl. It will match the pencil he made me

I would love to see some of your work mate. Why don't you post some for us all to enjoy.
A pleasure to meet you Gary.

Warm regards
Leo
That is an absolutely gorgeous burl! I have done the same thing with a couple of my slimline's that Duncan did with that one by leaving out the center band to give a little more bulk to the pen and more freedom with the final shape. I have also done some experimenting lately with pouring my own acrylic blanks and have done a very little copper inlay stuff. I will try to get some photo's of some of the pens I still have that haven't found new homes yet. I am more concerned with taking over your thread so I will keep them to a minimum. ;) Thank you again for sharing and for your warm words!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 9 months ago #7299

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Don't you worry about taking over this thread my friend, I was hoping others of like mind would jump in and here you are. Please feel free to post in this thread, especially if I/we can get to see your craftsmanship. I am looking forward to it.;) Now, where is Wayne Reimer too!!!?

All the best

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by leomitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xuzme720

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 8 months ago #7549

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
I haven't forgotten about getting some pics of my pens up, I just have to find some time to take them! You know how the holidays are...
I was just wondering if you ever located a burgundy to complete your set?

Re: Renaissance in Writing! 1 year 8 months ago #7551

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Not yet! I am looking for an auction on e bay so I can add to the excitement and besides I have to save some money to pay Duncan for the grand pen he is crafting for me. I am having the trims done in sterling silver and the best steel italic 1.1mm nib we can find tuned by a nib master.
I can't wait to see your pictures chum. :ohmy:

Best regards
Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds