Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brass Bevel Gauge

Re: Brass Bevel Gauge 1 year 4 months ago #10345

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Thanks for testing this out, Fred. Kinda what I expected.

Worth a shot, eh?

Ken
玉鋼
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Brass Bevel Gauge 1 year 4 months ago #10361

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Oh definitely.
I think there had to be some sort of mechanical issue with the Spydeco one as well.
I could see this causing confusion on a hollow ground blade if you didn't look closely enough.
And it's not *useless* I still have plenty of use for it in my shop, it just doesn't work on my kitchen knives...

But it makes me wonder why no one has made one correctly for thinner modern blades.

So this might still be a toy for Clay to design and sell if he can produce them at a good price, and make them work on thinner blades. I think my real issue is if the edge bevel is only about 1 or 2 mm, (narrow) this is really hard to use. No idea if there are problems associated with making a wedge cut out in metal like that with little or no hole at the end.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: Brass Bevel Gauge 1 year 4 months ago #10382

• WayneReimer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I've had one of those for many years...mine was made by Stanley tools, probably 75 years or more ago. (it was my Grandfather's)

They originally were intended for checking bevel on woodworking chisels. Even though every one that I've ever seen has been stamped out of brass, they're accurate. I keep mine in my sharpening box with all my stones from my freehand days
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds