Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Case for Wicked Edge

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8128

• JamesBare
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Those pelican cases look awesome, but what if you have the pro pack 2/ upgraded arms and riser? How much deeper would the case have to be to fit the riser block? I like the idea of such a tough case to protect my WEPS and only want to buy a case one time since I am pretty sure the riser/new arms will be in my future.
I need to catch more fish so I have an excuse to resharpen my fillet knives :-D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8135

• DKamp
  • Junior Boarder
I actually have the propack 2 and it will fit in the pelican 1600 case. The case is a bit large but in my opinion worth protecting my baby.

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8143

• JamesBell
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
DKamp wrote:
I actually have the propack 2 and it will fit in the pelican 1600 case. The case is a bit large but in my opinion worth protecting my baby.

Nice setup, DKamp.-- This is one of the best setup cases I have seen. Looks like it easy to get out and start using, without having to remove parts of the cases interior foam. The bit large is great, Growing room!
Thanks for making the extra effort to share your photos !!
Much appreciated
James
- James

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8146

• Staze
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
DKamp,

Wow, that makes mine look like crap. I just need to order replacement stock foam I guess. =P

Awesome.
-Systems Administrator
"You mean you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

WEPS Pro-Pack I

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8150

• DKamp
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the kind words! I like that everything has a place!

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8237

• peppersass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
JamesBare wrote:
Those pelican cases look awesome, but what if you have the pro pack 2/ upgraded arms and riser? How much deeper would the case have to be to fit the riser block? I like the idea of such a tough case to protect my WEPS and only want to buy a case one time since I am pretty sure the riser/new arms will be in my future.
Excellent question. I had to deal with this when I upgraded. Since my case was a done deal, my solution was to remove the riser prior to packing my WEPS in the case. In order to be able to do this quickly, without removing the vice from the base, I drilled an access hole in the base:

accessholeinbase.JPG

I marked the position of the hole with the vice base in place, removed the vice base, and drilled the hole with a drill press. I recommend drilling a pilot hole and/or going slowly when the final size bit is about to break through the bottom of the case. Otherwise, the laminate may chip off around the hole. No big deal if it does, however.

I store the WEPS in the case with the riser removed and the jaws secured with the old (short) allen head screw. That way, I can close the lid and I can use the WEPS for a quick touch-up without removing it from the case. Note that I have to use an angle cube to set the angle because the markings on the new cross beam assume the riser is in place.

When I want to do a more extensive sharpening session, I remove the WEPS from the case, remove the short screw, install the riser, and secure the jaws with the new long allen head screw. I've added a larger allen head wrench to my kit for this, which is also handy for getting leverage on the new thumbscrews.

BTW, I've made a few mods to my case to accommodate the upgrade and additional stones. I expanded the side channel on the left to fit the larger WEPS II arms and added a hole on the right for an angle cube. I took some of the accessories out of the stone cases to make room for a pair of ceramic stones, and put them in smaller utility boxes that fit under the front stone case. Here's what it looks like now:

addedboxes.JPG

The stone boxes go on top of the smaller boxes and other stuff, behind and in front of the vice, as shown in my previous post. One stone box is full and the other has long accessories, the riser, the standard allen wrench, the long riser screw and a lab sample dropper I use to wet the ceramic stones. Here's what they look like now:

addedstones.JPG

Hope this helps others who are building their own cases.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by peppersass.

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8238

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
peppersass...

you probably posted it right... but there's a limit to the file size. (Im trying to find out what it is). Crop it down a bit and try again. (Don't worry, I'll delete the posts that fail).

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8239

• peppersass
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks. You were right -- the file sizes were bigger than my last post (new camera.) I resized them down to less than 1MB each and it worked. BTW, I found that if you hit the question mark above, it takes you to the website of the Forum software provider. I found some info there suggesting that 3MB is the limit.

I'm not sure I'm doing the posting correctly, though. I used the Add File buttons to access the photos on my system, but they were not automatically uploaded when I hit Insert. Just a "FAKEPATH" URL was created. I had to Submit the post, then go back and edit it. Then I was able to place the cursor where a given photo should go and then hit Insert next to the photo attachment at the bottom. This placed a URL with just the file name in the correct spot, and everything looks right when I re-Submitted.

Is there a way to insert photos in the text before Submitting?

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8240

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Are you using Internet Explorer? Apparently there's a bug of some sort that prevents you from seeing the "Insert" button. You can either switch browsers, or use the "Compatibility Mode" in IE, and it should work.

Re: Case for Wicked Edge 1 year 6 months ago #8241

• peppersass
  • Junior Boarder
cbwx34 wrote:
Are you using Internet Explorer? Apparently there's a bug of some sort that prevents you from seeing the "Insert" button. You can either switch browsers, or use the "Compatibility Mode" in IE, and it should work.
Actually, I'm using Chrome. When composing the message, I hit Add File, select the file, and then I see the Insert button. But when I click it, the file isn't uploaded -- just the fakepath URL is inserted in the text. When I then Submit, the photo is uploaded and appears at the bottom of the page with a paper clip icon. When I then go into Edit mode, I can use the Insert button that appears next to the attached photos to get the correct URL in the text (or, I can just edit the fakepath URL so that it specifies only the file name -- presumably, that's because the file was uploaded when I hit Submit.

I'll try it with IE sometime. I've been finding more and more Chrome incompatibilities lately.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds