Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Pro pack II set screws

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6706

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
MichaelCraft wrote:
Hey, I just got my first ever M390 too, 581 BM Barrage, love it, sadly it will sit in its box in my safe until I get some other things taken care of, but looking forward to seeing what its got when the time comes, and then of course what the WE can do to it!... From what I have read of M390, it should be a fantastic knife!!!

I've got one of those... did 17 deg. per side, lightly stropped with 5m leather which seemed to clean up the factory edge. Haven't used it a lot, but seems to be working out well.

There's also a post on M390 you might want to look at...
wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...=5593&Itemid=63#5593

Post your results when you sharpen it!

Great knife! Easier to sharpen than I thought it would be.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rmorris7, MichaelCraft

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6727

• MichaelCraft
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
cbwx34 wrote:
I've got one of those(BM Barrage)... did 17 deg. per side, lightly stropped with 5m leather which seemed to clean up the factory edge. Haven't used it a lot, but seems to be working out well.

Post your results when you sharpen it!

Great knife! Easier to sharpen than I thought it would be.
Wow, thanks for the post, the first thing that pops out is that beautiful edge, WOW. Now I have a nice, blog to read too :). Looks like M390 is everything I read it was. Def will post results.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by MichaelCraft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6734

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I appreciate the input on M390 and your experiences..
It will help me out on my new knife.

Or were you not talking to me ???

Phil

cbwx34 wrote:
MichaelCraft wrote:
I've got one of those... did 17 deg. per side, lightly stropped with 5m leather which seemed to clean up the factory edge. Haven't used it a lot, but seems to be working out well.

Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6739

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I was referring to the Benchmade knife.

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6761

• MichaelCraft
  • Senior Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
BTW, I had a 300 baud Folksmodem that I used to dial into BBS operated by my buddies, to discuss Physics problems, I would have nearly killed for 14.4

Phil

This is completely off topic, but I believe I have found a kindred spirit where beyond the obvious love of this area, we also go way back together in computing. Since I couldn't find a "Misc Forum" to put this in, I requested one in the suggestion box, but I wanted to reach out cos I don't find many kindred old timers in the computing field in the blade and firearm forums :). Pics of my first laptop (1000's of yards mowed), 300/1200/2400 baud built in, first laptop with HDD (20MB) built in, STILL WORKS :), cannot bear to part with: www.photobucket.com/mcrafts_NEC-HD , this will be passed down to my children as will a few special blades and firearm's that were passed to me :). I would have msged, but wondering if there are others out there...
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by MichaelCraft.

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6772

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Not sure how far to take this in this thread...

First store bought computer was a TI 99/4A. That was the first I had that I didn't program with switches...
A whole 12K of memory for programs using A BASIC OS... ran programs from Cassette tapes. That was the one I got the 300 baud modem for... It was cutting edge then. It had a 16 bit processor:woohoo:

Later I got a real Ibm Pc with a 14.4 modem I had an account with a local university. I could use the PC to log into a UNIX shell and... access the Internet... and use email with Pine... a completely text based UNIX email program... Those were the days.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MichaelCraft

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6774

• MichaelCraft
  • Senior Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Those were the days.Phil
Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I can remember punch cards, Wangs, liquid cooled HDDs that one man could not lift, tapes, HUGE floppies, and on and on. The thread could go on a good ways down this path, but we shouldn't take it there for the sake of those coming here to learn about the recall :), so I will stop and hope that perhaps a misc forum can be setup so we can move these posts and chat there :).

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6778

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
cbwx34 wrote:
I discovered a temporary fix if you need it.

It turns out the upgrade kits with the wrong size screw also has a #8-32 hole drilled on the backside of the base.

So, if you need a little something extra to hold things in place,,,, I bought a couple of #8-32 x 1/2" thumbscrews and stuck them back there.

Thought I'd pass it along!

Thanks cbw, you got me thinking.

This might only apply to me as I don't wish to use the angle dimples?
But I like the idea of using two screws.

The principle of this set screw is to pull the opposing face against the angle bar to tighten.
So if I put a screw in the other side, it is working against the other screw.
Not a problem, as I'm sure it will still strengthen the hold.

It can't help me if I don't want to use the dimples, because I would be committed to a dimple on one side.
But if I don't use the dimples, then I run the risk of my "L" bracket sliding.

So for a better hold, I either need a crossbar with no dimples (then use both sides) or I add another hole/screw next to the existing one for extra grip, which would be the best option as it grips further along the bar.

Sound confusing? ;)

edit - Of course I use a flat face screw in place of the original ones.

Would be good to have a couple of extra holes included so the option is there?
Another pic.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Billabong.

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6816

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I don't know how I could have missed this thread until tonight. Having read all the posts about the set screws not seating in the calibrated dimpled rod beneath the riser, now makes perfect sense why my angle cube is having so much trouble maintaining a consistent setting. This has really been kind of driving me a little crazy, but it now makes perfect sense. Since the set screws are not holding securely because they are just pressing against some part of the bar and I guess some empty space where the dimples are I can see why the constant movement of the grinding motion as you sharpen continuously causes some small movement in the angle of the guide rods.

I definitely need to be on the list of those who need replacement parts to make this right.

I take my hat off to Clay. I know how frustrating it must be because the solution does not seem simple. I guess you can not just replace the screws as they are the wrong size for the calibrated dimples and replaceing the square rod holder has got to be expensive. I hope the company that took the short cut to save money is covering the loss there. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Clay spoke to the guy who made this decision.

Anyway, thanks to the forum members for finding the problem and thanks for Clays response to try to address it in the best way he can. This is why I love this place.

And all this weirdness about karma.... Whaaaaaa. Don't need no stinking karma. If anyone wants mine you are welcome to it. I have already lost most of what I once had. This is just silliness.

Keep up the good discussion, have differences, come to solutions and try to use common sense and courtesy with one another. What's so complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipPasteur

Re: A temporary fix if you need it. 1 year 9 months ago #6823

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Scott Sherman wrote:

And all this weirdness about karma.... Whaaaaaa. Don't need no stinking karma. If anyone wants mine you are welcome to it. I have already lost most of what I once had. This is just silliness.
Amen !!!

Sort of what I tried to say !!
:)
You did it better!

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds