Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Strop micron order?

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5874

• BobNash
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Check out that link in Billabong's post and see if it helps some - that is the one I was thinking of - Thanks Billabong!
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneNicklin

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5917

• KellyCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
That list really helps. I just got in a few more strops today, they balsa 14 and 10 micron as well as the 1 and .05 leather. These will go with my pro pack 1. I think I'm going to order the fine ceramic stones as a last "stone" before stropping, being I think the ceramic will give it finer scratches to remove with the strops. Or am I headed in the wrong direction? The 800 and the 1000 do a good job, but I can still see some scratches after stropping like a mad man with the 5 and the 3.5 leather. I think the balsa strops will remove those last deep scratches I'm talking about, but you can never have enough parts for you kit! On that note, I'm going to need more knives! Anyone have a Kershaw Tilt they want to sell, cheap?!? :cheer:
Guilty as charged!

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5918

• BobNash
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
KellyCurtis wrote:
but you can never have enough parts for you kit! On that note, I'm going to need more knives! Anyone have a Kershaw Tilt they want to sell, cheap?!? :cheer:

:lol:
KellyCurtis wrote:
That list really helps. I just got in a few more strops today, they balsa 14 and 10 micron as well as the 1 and .05 leather. These will go with my pro pack 1. I think I'm going to order the fine ceramic stones as a last "stone" before stropping, being I think the ceramic will give it finer scratches to remove with the strops. Or am I headed in the wrong direction? The 800 and the 1000 do a good job, but I can still see some scratches after stropping like a mad man with the 5 and the 3.5 leather.

You are heading the right way with what you are thinking. Until your diamonds really get broken in, it is hard to get out those scratches with just the strops. Having the extra steps, including the balsa, will definitely help some, as will spending plenty of time at each grit to make sure you have obliterated the scratches from the previous grit (of course even when you think you have done this, the strops often have the effect of uncovering scratches that have just been buried). Having ceramics is a big help - the 1200/1600 and/or Micro fines - to help get those scratches out. But even then you'll sometimes notice that your strops uncover things.
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneNicklin

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5935

• KellyCurtis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The balsa strops work awesome! Wow! They really take down the surface profile! I shaved last night with my ZT/Hinderer, and that is a thick blade! I also went to Walmart and got a cheap set of knifes to work on to break in the stones a bit. For the life of me I can't figure out why trying to get a perfect edge get's so addicting, but it is!
Guilty as charged!

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5938

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Uh oh, you're already falling down the rabbit hole :lol:

You'll probably end up with lots of cheap knives to work on, I know I'm always picking up the bargain bin blades at auctions and yard sales. Even dad is bringing home knives when he finds them cheap! It's amazing what a great edge can do on even the cheapest of blades. I have a feeling I'll have quite the selection of razor sharp pieces to sell on the cheap at the next gun show!

Have fun and enjoy the pursuit of that perfect mirror edge :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: Strop micron order? 2 years 1 week ago #5942

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Kelly,
Is this what you are looking for?

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...31:general&Itemid=46

It is in the FAQ, you get to it under the resources tab from the main page.
It has been up there for at least a year, likely much more. It is quite useful as it has small micrographs of what the scratches for each grit actully look like.

Phil

KellyCurtis wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys. So many stones, so many strops, so many tubes of pastes, and not enough time in the day! With just the basic pro pack 1 and one evening I am extremely impressed at my results. My other strops and paste should be here by friday giving me all weekend to mess with my WE. As a suggestion for marketing, I'd still do a list from the roughest stones to the finest paste/stop combo. Plus it would give me a clear list of where my money will be going!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds