Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kitchen Knife

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1075

• Seapig
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you want a great, inexpensive kitchen knife, you can't go wrong with the Victorinox 40520. Over 600 reviews on Amazon (mostly 5 star), and only about $26. I know this is an old thread, and the knife is about a tenth of the cost of a WEPS, but if you are looking for a good quality, inexpensive chef's knife for the kitchen, check this out. You don't need to spend $200.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monk69bl

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1076

• Monk69bl
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It says High Carbon Steel, do you know off hand which type of steel is used?

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1094

• mr.cheapguy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If I remeber the research I did on the Victorinox, Forschner, Baker & Chefs (Sams Club) knives they are made with 18/10 high carbon stainless steel. They are inexpensive, jobber knives. I like and use them nightly. They sharpen up real nice. The Victorinox and the Forschner have better covering on the handles, the Baker & Chefs are handled in white pebbled polypropylene.
Sometimes I ain't that sharp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monk69bl

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1097

• glenewertz
  • Fresh Boarder
Monk69bl wrote:
Hi I am new to the different steels, is this one made of Aogami Blue steel? Do you know where I can find out what it has been hardened to.

This would be Aogami steel which means "Blue", it could be Aogami 1 or 2, very similar. It would almost certianly not be Aogami Super at this price point.
This is great value for Blue steel if the heat treat is good.

Glen

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1105

• Monk69bl
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Thx for all the replies

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1125

• BloodHound
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Does it get the name blue steel for the same reasons that guns are blued, or are these two completely different things. Oh btw, i know nothing about metal work or metal types, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

Re: Kitchen Knife 2 years 4 months ago #1127

• glenewertz
  • Fresh Boarder
My understanding of Japanese knife steel is White #1 which has virtually no additives, White #2 has minimal additives Blue #1 with slightly more additives Blue #2 again more additives and Blue Super with the most additives of any.

These additives are put in to increase durability, add toughness (not to be confused with hardness)and more corrosion resistance, although none are stainless.

The name is said to come from the color of the paper the steel is traditionally wrapped in.
So the trade offs go from White #1 which is said to be able to get the sharpest but has the least edge holding ability then on up the "ladder".

Keep in mind, these steels are all excellent carbon steels and the differences are very slight, maybe not even noticeable for a novice like myself.
There are also many opinions on which is the best depending on the quality of heat treating, and the type of knife, or individual user.
If a metalurgist is viewing this I would welcome any corrections as this is a simplified explanation.

Glen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds