Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advise needed - Field and Sport problem

Re: Advise needed - Field and Sport problem 1 year 11 months ago #5427

I also am a new user to the F&S system and haven't had great results; my edges are alright, but nothing hair shaving like everybody claims. I think I need to start over with the 100 grit stones and be sure I raise a burr...

I have done my Hinderer XM-18 and Strider SMF which should be 22.5° on each side, so I set the arms on 22°. I started with the 600 grit stones since my edges were in pretty good shape and I did the marker technique on the edge as well. The stones took the marker off all the way to the edge (as far as I could tell; I don't have a loupe currently to check tho), and I worked to the 1000 stones. The edges turned out the same, if not a little bit worse, than what they were when I started. I tried doing the swipes with no pressure and letting the stones do the work; I tried using a bit more pressure to make sure the stones maintained contact with the blade...same results.

Maybe I just need more practice...I debated getting the standard model over the F&S bc you can fine tune the angle (instead of having a more fixed angle of 16, 18, 20, 22, etc.), but I'm not sure that this is my issue. Any suggestions from the pros here
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Advise needed - Field and Sport problem 1 year 11 months ago #5428

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
I think the main thing going on is that your stones aren't broken in. The more you use them, the better they'll get and the sharper your edges will be. There are a lot of loose diamonds that need to be knocked off with the first bunch of knives you sharpen.
KadinHunter wrote:
I also am a new user to the F&S system and haven't had great results; my edges are alright, but nothing hair shaving like everybody claims. I think I need to start over with the 100 grit stones and be sure I raise a burr...

I have done my Hinderer XM-18 and Strider SMF which should be 22.5° on each side, so I set the arms on 22°. I started with the 600 grit stones since my edges were in pretty good shape and I did the marker technique on the edge as well. The stones took the marker off all the way to the edge (as far as I could tell; I don't have a loupe currently to check tho), and I worked to the 1000 stones. The edges turned out the same, if not a little bit worse, than what they were when I started. I tried doing the swipes with no pressure and letting the stones do the work; I tried using a bit more pressure to make sure the stones maintained contact with the blade...same results.

Maybe I just need more practice...I debated getting the standard model over the F&S bc you can fine tune the angle (instead of having a more fixed angle of 16, 18, 20, 22, etc.), but I'm not sure that this is my issue. Any suggestions from the pros here
--Clay Allison

Re: Advise needed - Field and Sport problem 1 year 11 months ago #5466

• PhillipHyun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
You've GOT to raise a burr all the way along the edge with the 100 before moving on. No matter how long it takes and it could take a while with some of these super steels. Don't move to 200 until you have a burr all the way along the edge.

I sent my F&S back to Clay and I am waiting for the Pro base and arms so I can get back to sharpening!!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds