Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: 1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site?

Re: 1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site? 1 year 9 months ago #7040

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 644
It's too hard to speculate but I'll try anyway :) I'm guessing that there was a micro-fracture that we never knew about and it finally cracked with pressure. I haven't seen very many of those before, maybe only one or two out of all the ones we've sold.
--Clay Allison
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by wickededge.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site? 1 year 9 months ago #7234

• Billabong
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 49
I have some more "crumbling" going on now.

Kyle asked for my shipping address, but I was wondering if he has posted or sends a tracking number?

Cheers!

Re: 1200 / 1600 Ceramic stones disappeared from site? 1 year 8 months ago #7986

• AndrewBlaida
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
wickededge wrote:
This is a good question, one that a lot of people ask and that we've gone back and forth with the manufacturer about. These stones are very different than what most people expect yet they are extremely effective. The coarse blue stones take time to break in. They have what is called a "kiln layer" that needs to be removed. The easiest way is to just use them and let the powder come off. Once you get them broken in, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well they clean up the edge after the diamond stones.
Mechron wrote:
I went ahead with my order from Wicked Edge and also placed an order for the 1200 / 1600 stones from here, where they are available now.

I received them today, and I have to wonder about the 1200 side. The 1600 side looks correct, but the 1200 side is porous. I also rubbed the blunt side of a cheap pair of scissors across the 1200 stone, and (as TonyPettersen mentions above) it actually removed a little of the stone. I'm confused how such a stone will be able to cut steel in micro increments for sharpening as it seems to actually be softer than cheap steel? (By comparison I've had the Spyderco Sharpmaker for some time and those stones aren't like this.)

As you can tell I'm a novice when it comes to professional sharpening so I'm not sure if I have a bad stone or if I just have a lack of knowledge.

Interested to hear any input! :)

He's right about the 1200 grit ceramic stone... it does better than the 1600, and will put a very nice mirror on the blade if done correctly.
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds