Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Adding a second dimension to base rod

Adding a second dimension to base rod 1 year 4 days ago #12842

• proezln
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all.

I've owned my WE for over two years, yet, this is my first post. I love my WE and it is the most precise piece of sharpening equipment I own.

However, there are two primary inconveniences the I find (again, this my opinion):

1. Finding the sweet-spot: Yes, I do use the Sharpie method.
2. When sharpening long knives (>8") I find that I need to take the knife out and reset it, in order to accomodate for the length.

So, I was wondering if I might spark any interest (or not) in the following:

At this time the base rod allows the arms to move horizontally. I, personally, feel that somehow allowing the arms to move in a vertical direction as well would be great. Allowing the arms to slide along the base rod in a vertical and horizontal direction, I believe, would eliminate the need to move the knife once it's set, regardless of length or position; of course one could still use quality control methods via the angle cube and Sharpie.

I apologize for not posting a pic or outline (although, I do have one in mind).

Again, just trying to make an already great product better.

-CM
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Adding a second dimension to base rod 1 year 4 days ago #12846

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
Wow! Such a simple idea? I wonder if it would be affordable to mass produce? Sound like a great idea to me? :)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Adding a second dimension to base rod 1 year 4 days ago #12859

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 603
It is a good idea and we've been working on something similar, essentially putting the base rod on a sliding platform on a track.
--Clay Allison

Adding a second dimension to base rod 1 year 3 days ago #12880

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
proezln wrote:
I've owned my WE for over two years, yet, this is my first post.

Welcome to the forum! :) Great idea.

Thought I'd mention on this point...

2. When sharpening long knives (>8") I find that I need to take the knife out and reset it, in order to accomodate for the length.

You shouldn't have to reset an 8" knife. For example, this knife...

image_2013-05-30-2.jpg

... that I used as an example in this thread on securing flexible knives, the blade is almost 11 in. long, and I was able to sharpen the entire edge without moving the knife.

Feel free to post your ideas on what you have in mind.

Adding a second dimension to base rod 1 year 3 days ago #12881

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
wickededge wrote:
It is a good idea and we've been working on something similar, essentially putting the base rod on a sliding platform on a track.

OMG wow that sounds really cool! I swear I will end up in the poor house with all your new great ideas!!!! :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds