Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FLITZ POLISH Does anyone know the "grit size" ?

FLITZ POLISH Does anyone know the "grit size" ? 1 year 4 weeks ago #9948

• R.JeffreyCoates
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I have read that people use FLITZ POLISH as a stropping compound.

As a polish it has a use on my workbench . . . . . Is it a stropping compound?

I mean is it fine enough? Does anyone have any experience? It sure makes the rims on my car shine! And it works well on fiberglass and paint.

Thanks for any input.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: FLITZ POLISH Does anyone know the "grit size" ? 1 year 4 weeks ago #9955

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
I must have tried this at some point, 'cause I have some Flitz polish in my drawer of sharpening stuff, although I don't remember.... :S

A quick internet search showed lots apparently have. A couple of posts of interest I found... one said he contacted the company and was told the abrasive was AO at 3-3.5 microns. A couple of posts in a straight razor forum said they found the abrasive seemed to break down rather quickly... one post said the finish after a bit of use compared to a .5m paste he had.

Another polish compound I recall some using was a Meguiar's polish that smelled like cinnamon (Meguiar's Hot Rim polish according to the 'net)... never tried it myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R.JeffreyCoates

Re: FLITZ POLISH Does anyone know the "grit size" ? 1 year 4 weeks ago #9975

• R.JeffreyCoates
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Thanks. I have an old piece of leather. I might mount it and try it with the FLITZ. I have some old knives that are carbon steel. They were junkers that were someones throw-aways at a garage sale. I think I'll try to strop the entire blade side to clean it up then onto the WEPS for an edge and back on the FLITZ STROP.

Thanks again.

Re: FLITZ POLISH Does anyone know the "grit size" ? 1 year 4 weeks ago #9982

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
It's probably worth a try. I use a lot of Flitz for small parts polishing in the shop and it does a very nice job for those times I don't want to hit the buffing wheel or have a teeny tiny part to get at. If I had some spare WEPS strops I would be tempted to try it and see. Sometimes not having extra equipment laying around is a good thing, I'd get too distracted experimenting!

I can definitely confirm it breaks down fast, however. I tend to use a felt bob on either a small dremel stylus or the foredom motor depending on where I'm working. It's a very, very light polish if you let it soak into felt, whereas the normal dry polish compound I use on the felt wheels/bobs gets the job done relatively quickly. Flitz seems to work MUCH better while still wet, but of course soaking it into a felt bob and spinning it up makes a mess :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34, R.JeffreyCoates
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds