Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 1 week ago #4127

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I wanted to do a couple more knives before I posted this. I could tell the coarse Micro-fine was more coarse than rated... but as an alternative to lapping, I've been using it after the 1000g diamond, which seems to set up the edge better for the rest of the ceramics. So. I'll go Coarse Micro-fine. --> 1200 --> 1600 ceramics --> Fine Micro-fine... then onto leather (if desired). :-)

Just thought I'd present an alternate use that I'm liking.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 2 years 1 week ago #4128

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
That's exactly what I was doing before I lapped my coarse Micro-fine stones and it worked great. Now that they're all smoothed out, I'll have to see if it still works well in that progression.
cbwx34 wrote:
I wanted to do a couple more knives before I posted this. I could tell the coarse Micro-fine was more coarse than rated... but as an alternative to lapping, I've been using it after the 1000g diamond, which seems to set up the edge better for the rest of the ceramics. So. I'll go Coarse Micro-fine. --> 1200 --> 1600 ceramics --> Fine Micro-fine... then onto leather (if desired). :-)

Just thought I'd present an alternate use that I'm liking.
--Clay Allison

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 11 months ago #4803

• Scott Sherman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
what is "um" and how does it relate to grit numbers? I.E. how many um's to a grit or a 100 grit for example or perhaps vice versa? What grit would a stone be to equal a "um" or a fixed quantity of "um's"?

Thanks.
Scott

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 11 months ago #4818

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
Good question Scott. um is the abbreviation for Micron. Here is a chart that shows how they all compare: Grit Comparison Chart
ScottSherman wrote:
what is "um" and how does it relate to grit numbers? I.E. how many um's to a grit or a 100 grit for example or perhaps vice versa? What grit would a stone be to equal a "um" or a fixed quantity of "um's"?

Thanks.
Scott
--Clay Allison

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 10 months ago #5150

• JerrieBarber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
O.K. So I think I'm picking up what you are putting down, however I am a visual learner. Is there a video on lapping the ceramics? Should I lap similar to how one would flatten a Chosera water stone, I certainly do not want to ruin my new micro fines and I have a set of fine stones coming so a little education here would be helpful.
Proverbs 27:17, As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Re: Lapping the Micro-Fine Ceramics 1 year 8 months ago #7204

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I know this is a somewhat older post but I was wondering if the lapping was just for initial usage and getting the aggressiveness of the ceramics right or if they will need to be flattened like natural stones do?
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds