Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: FNG introduction - STONE UPDATE

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16934

  • DanMaloon
  • DanMaloon's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 126
  • Thank you received: 64
  • Karma: 4
Yeah what's needed and what's nice to have are two different things. I still use mine.was just posting in solidarity . The streaks are most likely a kiln layer that comes off with use. Mine had mysterious lines on them at first too. You can also glue it back on if you need to use it asap
Happy sharpening.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16935

  • Shotty
  • Shotty's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 11
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 0
DanMaloon wrote:
Yeah what's needed and what's nice to have are two different things. I still use mine.was just posting in solidarity . The streaks are most likely a kiln layer that comes off with use. Mine had mysterious lines on them at first too. You can also glue it back on if you need to use it asap
Happy sharpening.

i had thought about that, gluing it back on but wasn't sure if they used some top secret high speed-low drag glue. didn't want to make the situation worse. And frankly, I generally have no issues fixing or repairing stuff when needed but this much hunnits spent i would hope it wasn't common required practice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16939

  • jendeindustries
  • jendeindustries's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 326
  • Thank you received: 113
  • Karma: 34
Definitely a problem with the chipped corner there.... :P

I'm with Dan - the streaking is not an issue, IMO - more just the surface texture of a new stone. That will "calm down" as the surface evens out - it shouldn't effect the outcome of your sharpening now or in the future.

The chips in the middle of the stone could be related to "slapping" the paddles down against the blade as you are sharpening. I don't think anyone at Wicked Edge will argue the situation here, and I am not implying anything - just an observation for regular use. I'm sure this will end well, though.
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by jendeindustries.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16956

  • Shotty
  • Shotty's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 11
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 0
I'm on tour all day and all night tomorrow so i won't really have a chance to call Kyle so I have dispatched him an email with pics. hope to hear back. thanks for everyone for the input. i have added portions of this thread to a new thread in the ceramic stone section .. guessing thats where it should belong in the first place.


thanks again! i will post back the outcome for sure
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16957

  • tcmeyer
  • tcmeyer's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 270
  • Thank you received: 226
  • Karma: 23
If you can relate the breakage to the possibility of having dropped the rod & block onto the base, I'd suggest running a strip of foam tape along the front and back edges. It made for a huge improvement for a couple of us.

I agree with those above who think the streaks are normal for ceramic stones, especially for new ones. More importantly, they shouldn't make any difference in your results. Spyderco uses their triangle edges as a coarser grit step. When you graduate to using a microscope, you can decide for yourself if the results are correct. Maybe even a $10 loupe will help you decide.

The chipping and delaminating from the base block are clearly faulty products and also like the others, I'm sure that Clay will make that right.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with the forum. These guys know their shit and you'll learn more than you dreamed of.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16963

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1794
  • Thank you received: 648
  • Karma: 92
Shotty wrote:
I'm on tour all day and all night tomorrow so i won't really have a chance to call Kyle so I have dispatched him an email with pics. hope to hear back. thanks for everyone for the input. i have added portions of this thread to a new thread in the ceramic stone section .. guessing thats where it should belong in the first place.


thanks again! i will post back the outcome for sure

Kyle will definitely be getting back to you today and we'll have a new set in the mail before our postal carrier picks up at noon MDT.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16964

  • Shotty
  • Shotty's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 11
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 0
tcmeyer wrote:
If you can relate the breakage to the possibility of having dropped the rod & block onto the base, I'd suggest running a strip of foam tape along the front and back edges. It made for a huge improvement for a couple of us.

I agree with those above who think the streaks are normal for ceramic stones, especially for new ones. More importantly, they shouldn't make any difference in your results. Spyderco uses their triangle edges as a coarser grit step. When you graduate to using a microscope, you can decide for yourself if the results are correct. Maybe even a $10 loupe will help you decide.

The chipping and delaminating from the base block are clearly faulty products and also like the others, I'm sure that Clay will make that right.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with the forum. These guys know their shit and you'll learn more than you dreamed of.

I am certain these stones were never dropped or even set down hard. I have a few plano boxes i store my stones in and have been very conscious about how i treat them, especially the ceramics. The first thing i thought to my self when the stone popped off was "what the hell man, i didn't even drop these" :)

I have ordered a few loupes from amazon. they should be here soon.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Shotty.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16965

  • Shotty
  • Shotty's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 11
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 0
wickededge wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I'm on tour all day and all night tomorrow so i won't really have a chance to call Kyle so I have dispatched him an email with pics. hope to hear back. thanks for everyone for the input. i have added portions of this thread to a new thread in the ceramic stone section .. guessing thats where it should belong in the first place.


thanks again! i will post back the outcome for sure

Kyle will definitely be getting back to you today and we'll have a new set in the mail before our postal carrier picks up at noon MDT.

Thanks Clay. He did reply to my email and I sent him the information he requested.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16967

  • EamonMcGowan
  • EamonMcGowan's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 525
  • Thank you received: 200
  • Karma: 29
A person just can not get any better customer service and satisfaction then dealing with Clay and WEPS! :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

FNG introduction 5 months 1 week ago #16981

  • Shotty
  • Shotty's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 11
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 0
EamonMcGowan wrote:
A person just can not get any better customer service and satisfaction then dealing with Clay and WEPS! :woohoo:

couldn't agree more. Kyle replied immediately asking shipping information to send replacements. Awesome!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds